7 Things you need to know and can share with others.
1. 2018–2019 TEACHER LEADERS ADVISORS APPLICATION
Becoming a TLA not only allows educators to expand their positive impact by influencing over 750,000 students and over 50,000 Louisiana educators, but it also provides an opportunity to deepen and refine their leadership skills, learn about key priorities and projects at the Louisiana Department of Education, and develop their understanding of curricula and teacher training. Positions are limited. Applications will continue to be accepted until June 30, 2018.
2. The Mindset Classroom Short Course on Friday, July 20
This FREE one-day short course is for classroom and community educators to deepen their understanding of mindset and its impact on learning as well as to create a stronger and deeper learning environment for the students they serve.
This short course is brought to you by a joint effort between Step Forward's Middle School STEM Network, the North Louisiana STEM Alliance, Bossier Parish Community College, Caddo Parish Schools, DoD STARBASE Louisiana, and LTP Designs. Your facilitators will be K. Renae Pullen, K-6 Science Curriculum Specialist, Caddo Parish Schools; Kathy Brandon, Executive Director, DoD STARBASE Louisiana; and Lou Papai, K-8 Educator, Instructional Designer, and Trainer, LTP Designs.
Register today! Registration closes 2 days before the training date.
3. Check Out LPB's June 2018 Education Newsletter
1. The Cat in the Hat Knows a Lot About That! sub-collection has a new Teacher's Guide: Building Bridges. This resource was developed under the Ready to Learn grant and helps educators teach students about what it takes to build a successful bridge using the Engineering Design Process. The guide includes video clips from the show to demonstrate key concepts. (Grades PreK-3)
2. As another hurricane season starts, the Louisiana Digital Media Archive (LDMA) is highlighting stories on Louisiana’s coastal land loss crisis and the ongoing efforts to restore the state’s coastline. According to the U.S. Geological Survey, Louisiana loses an average of a football field every 100 minutes. For decades, LPB has covered this critical issue. Check out the blog post and related videos.
4. Astronauts Read, Conduct Experiments, and More!- Story Time from Space
5. Summer Caddo Elementary Science Professional Development
Several exciting learning opportunities will be offered by the Elementary Science Department this summer. Workshops will center on helping K-5 teachers and school leaders understand how to implement three-dimensional and phenomenon-based learning using Louisiana Student Standards for Science.
Topics include: understanding the instructional shifts, teaching with phenomena, analyzing student work, using the Caddo Science Scope and Sequence, making connections to math and ELA, creating quality lessons, using robots in the elementary classroom, and making sense of the Louisiana Student Standards for Science.
- July 17 K-2 Science Summit (repeat)
- July 18 3-5 Science Summit (repeat)
- July 19 Overview of the Louisiana Student Standards for Science (for new teachers and teachers new to K-5 science)
- July 23 Google Science Journal (in the ‘Technology Trainings’ folder)
- July 26 K-5 Dash Into STEM
6. Engage with NSTA
This year has been tough for many in the paths of hurricanes Harvey and Irma. The storms devastated many communities and many residents are still working to get back on their feet. Doing what we can to support science teachers and schools, NSTA is offering a number of free resources and opportunities for those living and working in affected areas in Florida, Louisiana, or Texas. Please click here to request these free resources until June 30, 2018. No membership required.
7. LATM/LSTA Concurrent Sessions (1 hour) Proposal Due August 6
Proposals for 1-hour concurrent sessions to be held on Tuesday and/or Wednesday, October 23rd and 24th, 2018 are now being accepted. Proposals must be submitted via the online form by August 6, 2018. The Lead Presenter and Co-presenter(s) listed in this proposal must be registered for the conference. Registration should be completed by the Early Bird Deadline.
Bonus: DON'T FORGET YOUR COMPLIMENTARY LSTA MEMBERSHIP
In an effort to support teachers of science this year during the implementation of the revised LSSS, LSTA is extending a complimentary membership to ALL Louisiana teachers of science, administrators, and informal educators until October 24, 2018.
All you need to do is complete and send in a membership form!! Contact your regional representative or download a form from our LSTA web site!
And more good news for current members. While the LSTA Board is celebrating with the 1000 + Louisiana science teachers who attended the NSTA Area Conference in New Orleans, the board acknowledges the high cost of a national event. As a result, the Board has approved extending membership expiration dates from November of 2017 to November 2018.
Check Out the Caddo Science Newsletter Archives!
Check out the archive of the Caddo Science Newsletters.
Important K-6 Science Dates
June 20-21: 6-12 Summer Science Institute 8:30am-3:30pm
July 17: K-2 Science Institute 8:30am-3pm
July 18: 3-5 Science Institute 8:30am-3pm
July 19: Overview of the K-5 Louisiana Student Standards for Science 8:30-3pm
July 25-26: 6-12 Summer Science Institute 8:30am-3:30pm
July 23: Google Science Journal (in the ‘Technology Trainings’ folder)
July 26: K-5 Dash Into STEM 1:00pm - 3:30pm
August 6: LATM/LSTA Concurrent Sessions (1hour) Proposal Due
October 22-24: 2018 LATM/LSTA Joint Conference