Week of October 29th
Thank you for all the lollipop moments you provide to students, parents and other staff members each week!
Important Dates for the Week:
- 3rd grade quarterly planning
- Kindergarten PLC
- Twitter Chat after school in media center (there will be prizes and double NCE time for all that participate)! If you want to participate from afar.....make sure you sign in and tweet a few times! Let's win the highest participation award!!!
Tuesday, October 30th:
- 1st Grade Field Trip
- Staff Meeting after school in media (EC snacks)
Wednesday, October 31st:
- 4th/1st PLC
- MTSS Problem Solving Meeting 11:00 in PLC room
- Classified Staff Meeting 1:30 in lunchroom
Thursday, November 1st:
- 5th/2nd PLC
- PTA Meeting in Media from 5:30 - 7:00
Friday, November 2nd:
- Math Check In for 4th/5th grade
- Make sure you have taken the needed steps for Health coverage BEFORE WEDNESDAY! This is something that others are unable to fix for you after the deadline has passed.Directions are attached.
- New dates have been set for NC Check-Ins. We will be administering the computer based NC Check-Ins on the following dates for 4th and 5th grade students:
Friday, November 2 - Math
Monday, November 5 - Reading
Science Fair is fast approaching. Entry forms are due October 29. There are extra copies on the worktable in the mailroom. Please return completed forms to Juliana Maul or Lisa Lowing (form does require a teacher signature). If you receive entry forms beyond the due date, please turn in. Display boards will be provided after entry form is completed and turned in. Display boards can be picked up from the media center (near the checkout desk) or let Juliana or Lisa know and they will deliver the boards. Projects will be due November 13. Also, there will be an open house on November 13 from 6:00 to 7:00. All are invited. Please let Juliana or Lisa know if you have any questions.
- All science kits being picked up Monday and must be up at the main office by Monday morning
- Science kit rotation info has been linked on NCE staff page you can also or you can also find it on the county’s teacher portal.
- Please restart all Chromebooks if you haven’t done so already. Updates need to happen.
Monthly Character Focus:
- We discussed during our summer leadership retreat adding a monthly character focus. See the following attachment below from Kaitlyn sharing what the focus will be for each month. We will work to really focus on each trait monthly. More to come regarding the paws.....
- A few years ago we discussed in School Improvement Team that we needed to protect instructional time and not have parties for every holiday. We do have students that do not celebrate various holidays throughout the year. I know parents love throwing parties. However, please remember that you are responsible for protecting your instructional time. Consider how you can have instructional tie ins when appropriate (activities with Holidays around the world,math activities, etc.). We set a two party limit for the year. Consider asking parents that ask about parties to help with instructional/learning activities too.
Academic All Stars:
- Please complete the list of academic all stars before Friday for your grade level. I can provide fourth/fifth grade teachers names of students that grew a lot based on state testing (let Carla know if you are interested).
Chatham Arts Council:
- NCE has been fortunate enough to have an Artist in Resident for the last three years. We have been invited to send a rep. to the following for free. You would represent our school at the event. Please complete this form to express your interest. We will complete a drawing if multiple people are interested.
What: Pickin’: A Music Celebration, Chatham Arts Council’s Annual Benefit for Artists-in-Schools, featuring The Bluegrass Experience
When: Sunday, November 11th from 5 to 7:30 p.m.
Where: Chatham County Ag & Conf. Center in Pittsboro
Revel in the fiddle with The Bluegrass Experience on their 47th anniversary at this year’s event, sponsored by Opus Financial Advisors. Doors for Pickin’ open at 4 pm; concert begins at 5 pm. In addition to The Bluegrass Experience’s well-known tunes, musical guests will include some incredibly talented kids: Clapping Hands Farm Ukulele Kids and Chatham Central Advanced Chorus. This is a family-friendly event including High Strung Violins and Guitars’ instrument petting zoo, an art activity by Clapping Hands Farm, and plenty of room for dancing by the young and young at heart. And it’s all for a good cause. Proceeds help fund Chatham Arts Council’sArtists-in-Schools Initiative, bringing professional artists into county schools to support math, science, language, and history curricula.
More info. on Pickin’: https://www.chathamartscouncil.org/pickin-2018-2/
Big Grant Money for NCE:
- Congratulations to Lynne Crankshaw! She was awarded 1,000. for graphic novels that focus on diversity!
- Congratulations to Marilyn Rowland! The Guitar Center approved a donation of 14 ukuleles for the 5th grade music class!
- Shout out to our PTA and especially Michelle Zwahlen! She completed a grant for World's Fair/Carnival and we were awarded 1,000. for that effort!