Mrs. Platz's Class Newsletter
February 5th, 2016
- Fri. 2/5/16 Data notebooks coming home
- Mon. 2/8/16 Return data notebooks/Character Warms the Heart Week - wear fleece or flannel/PTA meeting 6pm
- Tues. 2/9/16 Wear your favorite sweatshirt!
- Wed. 2/10/16 Wear your crazy socks!
- Thurs. 2/11/16 Wear red!/PTA Pirate Princess Ball 6:30-8:30 pm
- Fri. 2/12/16 No School - District In-Service
- Sat. 2/13/16 PTA Mercury Gymnastics Night 6:30pm
Monday - E - Art
Tuesday - A- PE
Wednesday - B - Library
Thursday - C - Music
Friday - No School
Your First Grader Has Been Working On...
- activating prior knowledge.
- learning about nonfiction text features and how they help the reader (bold print, diagrams, glossary, index, table of content, captions, photographs). Ask your student to find a nonfiction text feature in a book you may have in your home!
- learning about the folklore around groundhog's day.
- investigating light and shadows. Ask your student to share what it means if an object is transparent, translucent, and opaque!
- writing and reading words with vowel teams: ai/ay.
- adding 2 multiples of ten.
- using mental math to add tens to two-digit numbers.
- using a hundred chart to add tens and ones.
- using a number line to solve addition problems.
- learning about our Star of the Week, BaoTrinh!
eat, sea, each, team, please, dream, treat, beach, clean, lean, of, said, off, was, with
You can practice these words at SpellingCity.com:
Our spelling test will be on Thursday, February 11th!
Homework packets are coming home on Monday. They will be due the following Tuesday, February 16th. The packets may be turned in earlier, if needed. All students completing work, earn pirate coins and Dojo points for their table!
Students have a written assignment in their packet this week. Please work on having your child write neatly and add a picture to the top.
Please continue to have your student write down books on their 100+ book log. Book logs are checked on Fridays. Students who do not have books written on their logs will be reading during their morning work time on Friday. For our morning work on Friday, students have the opportunity to have some free time working on various activities (pattern blocks, puzzles, building sets, play dough, drawing). These activities are only available if the student has written new books on their book log. Students should have at least 4 or more books/chapters written down each week. Remember, if your child is reading a book for Reading Improvement homework, these books can be written down on their book log!