Mrs. Ayers' Newsletter
February 1st, 2016
I include these as a resource to you but please note that I am NOT asking you to teach your child at home. These are just extra resources you can use to support and reinforce what we are doing IF you chose to do so.
- Report Cards went home today. Please sign and return. If your child earned A or A/B Honor Roll, I sent home a white copy for you to keep to take with you to the restaurant listed on the sticker for a free sandwich. I will only need the yellowish copy signed and returned. Let me know if you have any questions about report card grades.
- Field Trip on Tuesday, February 23rd to the Asheville Community Theater to see the musical "Seussical". Cost $8/ Money due by February 15th. Permission form will come home by Wednesday.
- Awards Ceremony- February 11th at 8:15. I will send a note or email by Friday if your child is being recognized.
NEW COMPUTER APPLICATION
During the snow days. I spent many hours watching Youtube videos and researching learning sites other teachers in other schools are using. I wanted to see which ones were the best. There are so many good ones but I feel confident that the ones I have chosen will add to the academic growth of each child.
I will give a brief overview of each of the sites we use and an example of how we use it.
This is a great way for students to give input on a topic, sometimes anonymous and sometimes with names. I can then save their responses and check them for understanding.
They also took a survey asking some questions about their thoughts on the new technology. Kahoots is really similar to PLICKERS but I like it better because I am not scanning papers with my phone or IPAD.
Below is the student view of Kahoot.
STUDENT CREATED KAHOOTS
Math Facts Tests
There are 7 students in our class who have finished all 18 levels of Lexia Core so these students are required to complete a minimum of 4 Moby Max Reading Passages each week. All students have taken the Reading Placement Test so once again when any student reads and answers questions they are reading on their own reading level.
We are not currently using Moby Max for Math but later on we will. It also has a math placement test.
What is Symbaloo?
It is my goal to be able to have each student create their own Symbaloo which will be on their desktop and allow even quicker access to activities.
Character Trait and Literary Terms Replace Flocabulary for a Few Weeks
The areas of weakness are:
- Knowledge of character traits
- Understanding of Literary Terms
- Going back into the text and proving answers.
TEST ON CHARACTER TRAITS AND LITERARY TERMS ON FRIDAY
The test on Friday will be on Character Traits 1-10 and Literary Terms 1-10. They will need to know the definitions. In addition, they will read short paragraphs describing someone and then they will have to choose which character trait describes that person.
Literary Terms 1-10
1. Cause: What makes something happen
2. Effect: What happens because of something
3. Significance: A part of the story that is important
4. Impact: A dramatic or large effect on the story
5. Main Idea: What the story is mainly about.
6. Purpose: why the author wrote the passage
7. Opinion: How a person feels about something
8. Mood/Tone: The way a story makes you feel
9. Characteristics: Traits a character has
10. Fact: A statement that is true
1. Focused- to concentrate
3. Serious- characterized by deep thought, grave or somber disposition
4. Determined-not willing to let anything prevent you from doing what you have decided to do
5. Careless-a careless person does not think about what they are doing, so they make mistakes, hurt people, or damage things
6. Annoying- irritatingly bothersome
8. Bossy-someone who is bossy keeps telling other people what to do, in a way that annoys them
9. Sloppy-careless or untidy
10. Impatient-annoyed because something is not happening as quickly as you want or in the way you want
- EVERYONE will need to read the short story, answer questions, highlight proof. If the answers are correct and the proof is not highlighted then the answer will be counted wrong.
- Meet Lexia goal each week
- If completed LEXIA, then COMPLETE 4 stories each week and complete and submit a test for each article read.
- There will be a few math problems each night. There was no homework on Monday night.
- Some students will have to bring their Opinion Paper on Zoos depending on how much they complete in class.