Bringing families together, one newsletter at a time!
Monday, July 26, 2021
Quote of the Week
Information and Updates
Cabrillo Point Academy - Now Enrolling!
Explorers on Course Elementary Academy
We are so excited for our Explores on Course Elementary Academy! We are currently sending out registration confirmation emails. Be on the lookout for your email!
At this time, we only have room in our Kindergarten classes. If you have a Kindergartener and are interested, please complete the ENROLLMENT FORM to enroll in the Explorers on Course Program. Please note that you do not need to complete the enrollment form again if you have already completed it.
A few key points about Explorers on Course Elementary Academy:
- Explorers teachers will offer live, virtual, direct instruction in the areas of Foundational Reading Skills (grade KN and 1), Literary Analysis and Writing (grades 2-5), and Mathematics (grades KN-5).
- Our credentialed Explorers on Course teachers will provide engaging, collaborative live lessons in each subject area for 40 minutes, 2 days per week.
- The cost is $200 for the school year
- Students in the program must purchase and follow the designated curriculum: Mathematics (Grades KN-5) Singapore Dimensions, Reading Foundations (Grades KN and 1) Lively Letters, and Literary Analysis and Writing (Grade 2-5) Blackbird and Company. Please place curriculum orders using your planning amounts as soon as possible.
- Explorers on Course teachers will provide a detailed lesson plan for parents to follow on alternate days which will be necessary for students to be successful in the classes.
- Teachers will also have scheduled office hours to support parents in implementing the designated curriculum
- Students will attend either the AM (9:00 am - 10:30 am) or PM (11:00 am - 12:30 pm) session on Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Live instruction will begin on September 14.
We hope to serve and support your child in our new Elementary Academy!
For the July 28th Park Day, look for me near the playground or across the bridge at the benches. I'll be wearing my Cabrillo Point Academy t-shirt! I hope to see you there!
This is the last week for Summer Reading Challenge 2021 - Reading Colors Your World! June 12 – July 31
Celebrate 50 days of reading this summer! Sign up for your virtual log at ocpl.beanstack.org or download the free Beanstack app.
You can set up one account and add all the readers in your family!
Make reading a habit and log each day you spend some time reading. Log 20 or more days during the program and you’ll be entered into an opportunity drawing for a gift card courtesy of the Friends of the Libraries. Complete activities to gain virtual badges.
Enjoy our digital services or visit your local branch for curbside pickup or Grab & Go to check out and collect special summer giveaways.
Follow OC Public Libraries on Facebook and Instagram for crafts, cooking, and other fun projects to complete at home, and join us on Zoom for Virtual Events.
Find more information at ocpl.org
Fun Summer Activities!
Please note: Cabrillo Point Academy is not affiliated with any of these resources. Also remember that planning amounts may not be used for classes and activities during the summer break.
Tour Your Hometown
This is the Last Friday for Stanton Movies Under the Stars!
Please be sure to read through our school’s Enrichment Guidelines from Homeschool Hub before entering order requests for your students. Please also make note of the following:
- Currently, only product orders are available in the Homeschool Hub.
- Vendors and service orders will be available August 2nd in the Homeschool Hub.
- New students will have their orders placed beginning 8/2/2021.
- Amazon orders will be available on July 15th, and Amazon Punchout orders will be available soon!
- We are excited to announce that our 3rd - 8th grade students can order FREE Chromebooks through Homeschool Hub. Tech items are available to order starting now. Items will begin to ship August 11th. For more information and FAQS, click here. ***Please be aware that all tech items are the property of Cabrillo Point Academy. If you decide to withdraw from Cabrillo Point Academy for any reason, tech items are due at the time of withdrawal.***
- School email for students: ALL students will have a Google/Gmail account provided by Cabrillo Point Academy. You should have already received the email and password. Please note: the Google/Gmail accounts are required for Chromebooks, Gmail, Classroom, and Enrichment/OSP subscriptions.
If your student took any Spring or Summer '21 classes at a community college, remember to send an official transcript to Cabrillo as soon as grades are posted to:
Cabrillo Point Academy
ATTN: Records Dept.
4612 Dehesa Road
El Cajon, CA 92019
For Electronic delivery - Records@CabrilloPointAcademy.org
Virtual Field Trips
Join us on a virtual tour of Mount Rushmore National Memorial! Mount Rushmore depicts four presidents who all played an important role in the history of the United States. Included in this tour: HD footage, information and facts on one of the most iconic sites in the United States! Please enjoy the free resources and videos below!
Mount Rushmore Virtual Field Trip: Video
Mount Rushmore National Park in South Dakota: Tour
History of Mt. Rushmore | South Dakota: Ranger Talk
National Night Out
Summer Homeschooling Advice
Simple Summer Homeschool Routine Ideas
Having consistent daily routines helps children thrive. Kids like to know what is happening next and adults don't want to answer the question... "What are we doing next?" a thousand times a day. Oh, I've been there and that's why I am such a strong advocate of routines and why I love them so much.
It helps kids to feel at ease and to know when the next meal is happening. Let's face it, kids live from meal to meal and snack time to snack time.
Summer deserves its own special rhythm, don't you think? If you are finding that your kids are staying up too late, missing nap time, and are always bored and cranky, it might be time to set up a new routine.
Here are some super quick ideas and easy tips to freshen up your summer routine, whether you are homeschooling or not.
Read the rest of the article here.
Charting the Course with Cabrillo Point Academy!
Orange County Science & Engineering Fair Free Summer Sessions
The Orange County Science and Engineering Fair (OCSEF) is hosting FREE , virtual summer workshops for students to get a head start on their science/engineering fair programs and projects. (For students who will be in grades 6th - 12th this Fall.)
Sat. Sept. 25, 2021,10-11am (Beginner)
Beginning this Fall students can sign up for one of the FREE OCSEF workshops - "How to Pick a Science/Engineering Project Topic."
Resources and Opportunities
The Sawdust Art Festival is Open!
7 FAMILY-FRIENDLY ORANGE COUNTY TIDE POOLS
Check Out Wildlife Refuges
Participate in Community Park Activities
Virtual Field Trips
Below, please find some links to Washington, DC coloring pages and activities:
Washington, DC Free Coloring pages.
More Washington, DC Coloring pages.
Free Printable Washington, DC Word Search activities.
Washington, DC Fun Facts for Kids information.
National Geographic Kids Washington, DC Unit Study.
Math Catch-Up Classes
Catch up on all things fractions!
If you missed the live classes please click on the links below to watch the videos. These classes are designed for students 5th grade and up.
WRITER'S WORKSHOP OFFICE HOURS VIDEOS
Did you miss some of the writer's workshop hours? We now have writer's workshop videos for parents and teachers to use wherever you would like! If you need advice as to where to begin, feel free to email our amazing writing teacher at email@example.com.
Access the recorded writing workshop videos HERE
Social Emotional Support
We also have the recordings from all the Mindset Monday classes we have had this school year...Summer would be a great opportunity to watch these recordings to learn about practical tools and activities on a variety of social/emotional topics like Emotional Agility, Growth Mindset, Mindfulness, Resilience, and much much more!
High School Counselor Support
2021 Engineering Showcase - Only 4 Dates in August Left!
The UCR Bourns College of Engineering and the UCR MESA Program invites all area kids, families and prospective students to an engaging and informative virtual event, our 2021 Engineering Showcase! Formerly the "Engineering Family Night," the event is an opportunity to inform you all about the college and the exciting things we do. It's a chance to learn about the engineering profession and what it takes to be an engineer. The event is free! Please see attached flyer for registration information or follow this link: https://2021bcoeshowcase.eventbrite.com
Returning library materials? Please keep in mind:
Parents should still have access to their old library system accounts. By logging into your account, you should be able to see which items are checked out to your child(ren).
If you are unable to access your old library account, please feel free to call the school and speak with a Library Specialist, who can check to see if any items are still checked out to your family.
There is no need to separate enrichment and library materials when returning them to the library.
There is no need to add library materials to students’ inventory sheets when returning them to the library. Each library item has an asset tag on it, which our librarians will use to check it in.
Thank you very much for your help with getting those items returned!
Returning enrichment materials? Please follow the instructions detailed below by clicking on the graphic. Thank you for your help!
I Can Statements
Community and Connection
Please note: There are three questions that need to be answered in order to join. The group is for currently enrolled families only.