- Both parties in a civil lawsuit must follow certain rules or procedures that describe every step of trial.
- There are three stages in a civil lawsuit these are: court pleadings, gathering evidence, and trial.
- Court Pleadings- both parties in the lawsuit give the court and each other, pleadings explanations of their cases.
- Gathering Evidence- both parties collect evidence, proof that supports their claims.
- Trial- At trial, both parties present evidence to convivnce a judge or jury that their side is right.
- Reasons for This Practice-
Time- court cases can drag on for years.