"PEEK at PEAK" - Fifth Grade News
April 1, 2014
Very Important Bits and Pieces to Note:
- Open House: Monday, May 12 (more details to follow)
- Last Day of PEAK: May 13
- We will conduct our Consumer report test on Tuesday, April 8. Your child needs 3 different brands of his/her item to test. Also - please have your child bring a water bottle or an empty cup for testing day. We will be sipping water to clear our palates between tests. There is only one day to test --- if items are forgotten then your child will be a participant but not a tester. You should have enough items of each brand for 20 people to test - we invite guests to test with us!
PEAK WORK SESSIONS: If your child would like extra time to work on projects!
- Tuesday, April 1 - 7:45 AM
- Wednesday, April 2 - 7:45 AM
- Thursday, April 3 - 7:45 AM
- Monday, April 7 - 7:45 AM
- Tuesday, April 8 - 7:45 AM
- Monday, April 14 - 7:45 AM
Final Projects and Due Dates:
- Consumer Reports Product Test Day: Due April 8
- Virtual Museums: Due April 8
- Additional Brain Project: Due May 6
- Consumer Reports Product Display: Due May 6
- Topic Study project: Due May 6
- Algebra packet: Due May 13
- Personal Growth and Development Profile and Reflection: Due May 13
- Topic Study: We worked on projects for our open house. I reviewed each student's essential question.
- Science: Today we worked on the preparation necessary for our Consumer Reports Product Testing. Students completed a criteria worksheet, rating scale, survey, direction sheet, and testable question label. Your child needs a way to collect rating sheets. Students can make envelopes from construction paper, bring in shoe boxes (3 - one for each product), ziplock bags etc. A collecting tool for each brand is needed.
- Math: We continued in Algebra. Many students are nearing the half-way point in our lessons! It is exciting to see students light up when they begin to understand a concept!
- Today we continued to work on our virtual museums. Students are expected to include more information in the virtual museum than the feature magazine article.
- Students put their Virtual Museum in Drop Box so they could work on it at home.
POWER OF ONE PROJECT ALUMNI:
When: April 13 at 5:00 PM
Where: Woodneath Pool Trail
Donation: $5 / person, $10 per family (register and pay the day of the event)
What: HIllcrest moves families from Homeless to Self-sufficiency in 90 days with an 85% success rate 5 years after graduation. This is a very successful organization that is much more than just homeless housing, and the administrative fee's are very low in comparison to the majority of not for profits. Our proceeds will support the Liberty complex located just a few blocks east of the Square. Last year the proceeds from the FUN RUN were able to purchase a basketball goal for the children who live at Hillcrest.