Reformers of the 19th century
- Movement to reduce the use of alcoholic beverages.
- U.S. gives the most extended liberty... prisons in the U.S. offer the spectacle of the most complete.
wanted to improve public schools.
- No attendance acquirement (except for Ma. and Vt.)
- schools not divided by grade levels .
- established teacher training programs.
- improved curriculum.
- doubled money Massachusetts spent on schools.
Horace Mann the greatest reform leader in education.
- Throughout the 1800's opportunity for women to Become educated increased.
- 1820's Abolitioist movement to free African Americans