September 2, 2021
4 day weekend
read a thon
We are well on our way to reaching our Read A Thon fundraising goal of $42,000. Thank you to all who have donated. Friday is our last day of our fundraiser. Please consider donating as no donation is too small.
A couple new incentives to add to our prize list:
- If 65% of our students participate in this fundraiser, our PTO will arrange for a visit by an ice cream truck. All students will receive an ice cream treat. Last year, we had 62% of our community participate. Please help us reach our goal of 65% this year.
- The top three classes will receive a movie and popcorn party. Our class standings right now are : 1st Place: Prek 3; 2nd Place 7B; 3rd Place: 5A; 4th Place: 2A; 5th Place KB. 1B is right behind KB. All classes are real close.
To donate, you may send payment to the school office or make payment online at
https://app.99pledges.com/fund/readSJCS. Please note that students will receive credit online when donations are made to the school office.
- If your child is sick, keep him/her home.
- If someone in your household is being tested for COVID 19, students should not come to school. Rather, they should remain at home and await the test results of the family member.
- In the event that someone in the household is positive for COVID 19, the students will need to quarantine. The length of the exposed family member will be different than the person who is positive. Parents will need to contact Mrs. Haas at the school office to determine the return date.
- We are not providing virtual learning to students this year unless an entire class is required to quarantine.
- In the event that a student has to quarantine, Mrs. Murphy and the teacher will work to gather learning materials for the student to complete independently at home.
First Communion Information
Registration is open for those children seeking 1st Communion this year at St. Joseph Church.
- Church registration and a baptism certificate are required.
- If you are registered at another parish and wish your child to receive here you will need a letter of permission from your pastor.
- Registration deadline is Sept. 25th Fee is $25: no child will be turned away for lack of money. Speak to Becky Roach in the church office.
- First parent / child sacramental preparation meeting is Sept. 27th at 6:30 in the Parish Center.
mass last weekend
volleyball and soccer
5th and 6th graders will be coached by Mrs. Abby Ford (our fifth grade teacher). Practices will be on Mondays and Wednesdays from 3:30pm-5:00pm in the gym.
7th and 8th graders will be coached by Mr. Warner. Practices will be on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:30pm-5:00pm in the gym.
Coach Robinson has agreed to get the season started. We are looking for additional parents to serve as the head coach of one of our teams or to assist. Please let Coach Edwards know if you are interested.
5th and 6th graders will have their first practice on Tuesday, September 7th from 3:30-5:00pm.
7th and 8th graders will practice on Wednesday, September 8th from 3:30-5:00pm.
We are hopeful that our girls volleyball and boys soccer teams will have an opportunity to compete against other schools once the spike in COVID goes down. We will keep you posted as these plans develop.
- Families are asked to email the school at email@example.com when a child is absent.
- Families can call the school office at 293-3311 and leave a message on the special voicemail dedicated to absences. Follow the prompts after calling the school office.
If we don't hear from you by 9am, you can expect to receive a phone call from the school office. *Please note that if the office is aware that your child has been quarantined due to COVID, you do not need to contact the office.
office is closed Friday and Monday
- Once you enter the horseshoe, if your child is old enough, he/she can exit the vehicle on their own. Teachers are available to help the younger students get out of the vehicle. But, if your child can get out on his/her own, they are welcome to do so.
- Truly our biggest challenge is getting the cars out of the parking lot and prevent empty cars from backing up in the horseshoe. When empty cars back up in the horseshoe, it eliminates our efficiency. Mrs. Haas has been out in the carline helping to merge the cars as they approach the exit gate of the parking lot.
if you have to park during afternoon carline
- You aren't using the app to "Announce" that you are in the parking lot.
- Your child isn't ready in his/her classroom when the app calls for him/her to go to afternoon carline.
- Your child may be walking slowly or stalling to let a friend catch up.
Occasionally, when carline is very short, there isn't enough time for your child to get down to your car after he/she is called using the app. In those cases, we appreciate your patience.
SJCS has invested in this app to help make carline run smoother and eliminate the need for students to have to sit outside in the heat and in large groups while waiting for you to pick him/her up. We need everyone on board to make it run smoothly. If you are having trouble with the Pik My Kid app, please call their helpline at 813-864-7627.