By: Erica D. & Zykara L.
One of our world's biggest problems is Water Pollution.
What is the problem?
- Water pollution occurs when our oceans, lakes, rivers, aquifers and groundwater are contaminated.
- This occurs when substances are directly or indirectly discharged into our water bodies
Causes of water pollution
- Sewage and waste water such as: liquid waste
- Oil pollution such as: oil spills
- Marine dumping such as: blown out trash
- Industrial waste such as: farms/ animal waste
Why is it important
- Water pollution affects our drinking, rivers, lakes, and oceans all over the world
- Water covers 70% of the Earth's surface and is a very important resource for people and the environment.
What is being done?
- Large companies are no longer allowed to pump chemicals.
- Heavy taxes have been imposed.
- In 1972, the water pollution control act was created, which regulates the discharges of pollutants.
What you can do to help?
- You can conserve water to prevent water shortages.
- Don't overuse pesticides to prevent runoffs of material.
- Be careful of what you throw down the sink or toilet.
- Overall water pollution affects our world badly. But to prevent harm to it, we can put in work and stop water pollution.