3L Weekly News
Week Ending December 5, 2014
This week in...
Reading: we read a traditional tale called The Harvest Birds. This text was written by Blanca Lopez de Mariscal and illustrated by Linda Cane. During whole, small, and individual instruction we worked on drawing conclusions to better enhance our comprehension. Students learned that drawing conclusions means to make an educated guess about something the author does not say explicitly. In addition, we practiced inferring and predicting. We became detectives and used our schemas and evidence from the text and pictures to make inferences about the main selection. We will continue working with this selection this week.
Math: we reviewed our Unit 3 math test and began Unit 4. This week we learned how to solve and write number stories involving equal groups. Additionally, we learned how to create arrays and use multiplication/division diagrams to assist in solving problems. Finally, we began division. Students learned how to create equal groups and how to note reminders.
Writing: we began our informational writing unit! So far, we have chosen topics to write about, created a table of contents, and began writing the chapters for our piece. We discussed the importance of making sure our table of contents and writing is completed in a logical sequence. We studied our mentor text, Dangerous Animals, as a way to learn more about elaboration and applied these strategies to our writing.
Science: we reviewed the types of bees and pollinated our plants. We also learned about the anatomy of a flower
Cursive: we learned how to make the cursive letter "u".
Conferences: we began preparing for Student Lead Conferences. So far we've reflected on our math, personal goals, social skills, completion of enrichments, and the number of books we've read. We also began prepping for our presentation at conferences and are very excited to share all of our work with our parents!
- An important way students grow is by learning from their errors. When students are asked to fix mistakes on homework, it's a way for them to understand where they went wrong. Please continue to encourage your child to correct and resubmit homework if the homework says "please fix."
- Each week, students will take a multiplication assessment. This assessment is NOT timed. However, it is important students memorize these facts. Flash cards and study aids will be sent home on Monday of each week.
- We will NOT have spelling this week.
Important Dates for 3L
Happy Birthday to:
- Please check our eBoard and contact me if your child would like to celebrate his/her birthday in school.
Poet of the Week:
- Matty: Friday, December 19th
- Poems must be submitted for teacher approval before a student presents!!
Star of the Week:
- Kevin: Monday, January 5th
- Kathy Hoff: Thursday, December 11th @ 8:40
- Schedule is attached to my eBoard under Guest Read Aloud
*Click the link below to my eBoard for additional details!
December 10, 2014 Parent Teacher Conferences 1/2 day
December 11, 2014 Parent Teacher Conferences Evening
December 12, 2014 Parent Teacher Conferences- school closed
December 15, 2014 Parent Teacher Conferences 1/2 day
December 23, 2014- January 4, 2015 Winter Recess
Parent/Teacher Conferences are scheduled in December as follows:
• December 10th, 1:30-3:10 pm, Half Day Schedule for Students
• December 11th, 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm, Full Day for Students
• December 12th, 8:10 – 12:30 pm, No School for Students
• December 15th, 6:00 – 8:00 pm, Half Day Schedule for Students
3-5: Student Led Conferences allow students, with the help of their teachers, share progress and goals with their families. Remember, that students must attend these meetings.
Please sign up for ONE time slot for each child. If you have twins, please be sure to schedule a time slot for each child.
Conferences are scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis.
1. Click on the Conference Link for your child’s teacher.
2. Once your conference schedule appears, click the box of an available time slot.
3. Enter your name under “Parent’s Name”
4. Enter your child’s name under “Child’s Name”
5. At the bottom of the form, enter your name and email address.
6. Click on “Sign up”.
Specials This Week:
Monday is a Day 1:
- Spanish and Music
Tuesday is a Day 2:
- Gym and Library
Wednesday is a Day 3:
Thursday is a Day 4:
Friday (No School)
A Word from Third
None at this time.