A couple of reminders
Some important things to do as we prepare to begin our WFC (Whole Family Catechesis) PREP this year
- Think about a time each week you want to devote to your child/ren's PREP lesson. Some families have successfully put aside time each Sunday as a special day to work with their children on their religious lessons.
- Prepare a special place for these lessons...include a Bible, rosary, candle, or other sacramentals.
A brief overview of what to expect this year
- A webinar will be sent out for you as parents to participate in before each of the 5 Units.
- The PREP Newsletter will be sent out before each unit with important reminders and a guide for parents to help steer your child/ren through the lessons.
- After participating in the webinar you will help guide your child/ren through the four chapters/sessions (we are not doing the fifth chapter/session in each Unit). After each session is completed, your child/ren will either submit the on-line quiz to email@example.com or complete the paper assessment and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A week before the Unit work is due, your child's catechist will email you a link to the Unit Wrap-up FlipGrid. This will include a video from the catechist "wrapping up" the important topics they learned, and instructions for what they want your child to talk about in their video they will submit back to the catechist.
- There are two dates this year when families will pick up their Family Faith at Home materials, both in Advent and Lent. Sign-up times will be emailed.
A Message From Monsignor
Click below for the September/October Loyola Press Newsletter--Great Resources!
Some Highlights of Unit 1--God Our Creator and Father
- God created everything and everything God created is good!
- God is our loving Father
- We believe in the Holy Trinity...God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit
- Prayer--we pray beginning with the Sign of the Cross
- Stories of the Old Testament (Adam and Eve, Noah, Abraham and Sarah)
Activity Ideas for Unit 1
Be a Flower in God's Garden!
- Various "flower" colors of construction paper
- Tell the children that this activity will help them appreciate people and all of nature as God's creation and that it should be respected and cared for.
- Talk about the beauty in all the different kinds of flowers they see in nature. Also discuss the differences and beauty among all the people they see.
- Invite each of the children to make a beautiful flower that will be a reminder of their own beauty as well as that of a beautiful flower.
- Suggest that they use whatever colors they would like to cut out and construct a flower, stem, and leaves. Then they should paste their flowers together.
- Display all the flowers as you thank God together for all creation and pray that you will all respect the world and the people in it.
Creation Object Lesson
How An Apple Is Like The Trinity: 3 Parts, 1 Apple
- The Peel
- The Flesh
- The Seeds
Any apple-related activity for kids would be great to pair with this apple object lesson this Fall! You could go apple picking, make an apple craft, cook an apple recipe, or simply slice open an apple, sit down with your kids, and have a little conversation with them.
Focus on the Saints!
Level 2--Saint Isidore the Farmer
Level 3--Saint Ignatius of Loyola
Level 4--Saint Teresa of Avila
Level 5--Saint Augustine
Level 6--Saint Jerome
Click on the saint's name to learn more about them!
Prayer Ideas for Unit 1
Pray this together as a family
O most High, almighty, good Lord God,
to you belong praise, glory, honor, and all blessing!
Praised be my Lord God with all creatures;
and especially our brother the sun,
which brings us the day, and the light;
fair is he, and shining with a very great splendor:
O Lord, he signifies you to us!
Praised be my Lord for our sister the moon,
and for the stars,
which God has set clear and lovely in heaven.
Praised be my Lord for our brother the wind,
and for air and cloud, calms and all weather,
by which you uphold in life all creatures.
Praised be my Lord for our sister water,
which is very serviceable to us,
and humble, and precious, and clean.
Praised be my Lord for brother fire,
through which you give us light in the darkness:
and he is bright, and pleasant, and very mighty,
Praised be my Lord for our mother the Earth,
which sustains us and keeps us,
and yields divers fruits, and flowers of
many colors, and grass.
Praised be my Lord for all those who pardon
one another for God's love's sake,
and who endure weakness and tribulation;
blessed are they who peaceably shall endure,
for you, O most High, shall give them a crown!
Praised be my Lord for our sister,
the death of the body, from which no one escapes.
Woe to him who dies in mortal sin!
Blessed are they who are found walking by your
most holy will,
for the second death shall have no power to do
Praise you, and bless you the Lord,
and give thanks to God, and serve God
with great humility.
(St. Francis, 1182-1226)
- Week of September 14--Orientation and Unit 1 Parent Webinar
- On or around September 19--Welcome and Introduction Flipgrid link will be sent to your children
- September 24--First Holy Communion Practice. 9:00 am Mass practice is 4:00-4:30 pm. 11:00 am Mass practice is 4:45-5:15.
- September 26--First Holy Communion Masses 9:00 am and 11:00 am
- October 24--Unit 1 quizzes and Flipgrid due date.