Ray Marsh Newsletter
Jan. 10, 2020
- Mathletics at Benninghoven 4p
- 6th grade Trail-a-bration - Parent mtg. at 5:30p at Trailridge MS
- Honor Band Concert 9:00a in the cafteria
- No School MLK Jr. Day
- Chat n' Chew 3rd & 5th grades
- PTA mtg. 6:30p
- Chat n' Chew 4th grade
- NW Strings festival at SMNW 7p
- NW Band festival at SMNW 7p
- Class Pictures
- Skate Party
- Group/Club picture day
- Dodgeball Tournament at Trailridge MS - Sign up available at raymarshpta.com
SMSD 50th Anniversary Celebration
The Shawnee Mission School District will celebrate 50 years as a unified school district from 5-8 p.m. on Wednesday, January 22 at the Center for Academic Achievement (CAA) at our Friends & Food event.
Families, staff, alumni, and community members are invited to attend this milestone celebration.
The event will include:
- Alumni guest chefs at five separate food stations creating food from the different decades of the past 50 years.
- Student musicians, vocalists, and performers who will entertain guests throughout the evening. Student artwork will be on display
- An opportunity to participate in SMSD Story Corps, where we will be recording guests’ memories and stories.
- Tours of the CAA and Signature Programs.
Tickets are $10 and children 10 and under are free. bit.ly/smsd50
6th Grade Information
Kansas Communities That Care Survey - 6th grade only
Please note that you have already either opted yes/no through the Skyward consents at the beginning of the year.
Our school district will be administering the Kansas Communities That Care Student Survey* on Monday, Jan. 13. We will be using this valuable tool to help measure district-level social-emotional learning, growth, and character development. The KCTC survey also measures teen substance use, bullying, school safety, and other factors that impact schools and communities. The information is essential for planning and implementing effective strategies in our school and community and provides data for local and state grant funding and reporting.
As part of a project with Children’s Mercy Hospital, 13 additional questions will be included in this year’s KCTC survey for our school district. The questions focus on tobacco use, perception, and advertising.
The survey can be viewed at www.kctcdata.org. Click About, View the KCTC survey. You may also be interested to know the following:
1. It is completely anonymous. Students will not be asked for their names on the questionnaire, nor will anyone be able to connect any individual student with his/her responses. School staff will not see any one student’s responses, but only summaries of results. To further guarantee anonymity, results will not be reported on any particular question without sufficient response from enough students.
2. Participation is entirely voluntary. Your child may decline to participate in the survey, or may simply skip any particular question they do not wish to answer.
3. Annual participation is important. Even if your child has participated in previous surveys, annual data is extremely helpful in determining areas of district success and areas needing improvement.
Chief of Student Services
Trail-a-bration (All in One Night) Jan. 15
Trail – a – bration (All in One Night) is scheduled for January 15th from 6p – 8p.
This student showcase is meant to highlight learning of our seventh and eighth grade students across the curriculum. Music concerts, art displays, performances and a book fair will be highlighted.
Sixth grade students and families are invited to join the fun and begin to know Trailridge. A parent meeting will be held for sixth grade parents on this evening starting at 5:30 in the MPR on the top floor of Trailridge. Please plan to park in the rear of the building (West side).
We appreciate your help! Please send questions to email@example.com .
Olympic Festival May 7
- Please be prepared to show a drivers license when entering the office.
Attendance Line - 913.993.3488
- Please always remember to call the attendance line when your child will be absent from school.
Nurse Cathy Hseih - 913.993.3402
- 24-hour information line at (913) 993-7380
- SMSD text, phone and email alerts (sign up for these in Skyward)
Please make sure your children are dressed warm enough for recess each day. Below are common guidelines regarding recess.
There will be no outdoor recess when:
- The temperature is 15 degrees or below.
- The wind chill index is 0 degrees or below.
- There is falling moisture.