September 7, 2018
Dear BHMS Families,
As we partner together, healthy student choices is of utmost concern. I want to share information with you on Juuls. This may be new to many of you but we have had a handful of situations at school in the past year at school and we have heard talk of more prevalence outside of school.
Juul, e-cigarette, and vaping device use has become an increasing concern for teens. The surgeon general sent out an alarm last December due to a 900% increase in teen use. See article and Surgeon General's Info page.
We want your child making healthy choices and with your support, we can hopefully spread the word to discourage vaping device use. Students caught possessing or using them at school and/or school events will be subject to school suspension. Below is an example of a Juul device and the “juice cartridges” used with them.
As a middle school, we have access to health professionals with a background in Alcohol and Drug Prevention and Intervention. We would be happy to connect you and your child with resources to help address concerns and to answer your questions.
For more information, I am also including this informative video from PBS Newshour for you to view.
Please contact us if you’d like more information.
Broomfield heights Middle School
SCHOOL PICTURE DAY!
School pictures will be taken on Tuesday, Sept. 11. Retakes will happen on Thursday, October 18.
"Reach for the Heights" BHMS Fundraiser
Reach for the Heights Fundraiser
It is time for our annual “Reach for the Heights” fundraiser. In the next few days you will be receiving more information in the mail and can find the same information at this link. This year we have new incentives as donation benchmarks are met!!!
6th grade families:
Chromebook Deployment on Wednesday was a success!
Please help your student's remember to charge their chromebooks at home, overnight, every single night.
We highly recommend getting a case to keep the chromebook protected. We will have some for sale at school for $10.
Student chromebooks will update automatically (wirelessly) when they are on the BVSD network. IT pushes Chrome OS updates when they are available.
Whenever the Chrome browser is used, settings will stay from device to device.
Check out the 1:Web site for resources. NOTE: There is a section on the last page of the first FAQ doc called Chromebooks at Home that has suggestions for filtering. Additionally, internet access can be controlled at home via your router, depending on the type of router.
Attention BHMS community!
The Publications Department is looking for donations of used digital cameras. If you have a interchangeable lens digital camera that is in your closet or on a shelf collecting dust, we would love to have it!Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. Thanks!
BHMS Career Day
Sports registration link: https://broomfieldheights.revtrak.net/Athletics/
Athletic Calendar: You can view the athletic calendar on the BHMS website home page. If you have a Gmail account, you can also save our school/sports calendars to your account.
Wednesday, 9/12 - 6th/7th Intramural Boys Basketball - Information/First Practice 4 to 5 PM - Sports physical recommended but not required. Registration deadline 9/16.
Friday, 9/21 - 8th Interscholastic Girls Volleyball - Information/First Practice 3:45 to 5:30 PM - Sports physical required. Registration deadline 9/13.
When registering for a sport, you will come across the payment options of Pay Now and Pay at School. If you will be paying via check, cash, or are fee exempt/free or reduced lunch, please pick Pay at School. (Please note that the Administrative Waiver applies only to those who receive free/reduced lunch and/or are exempt from school fees.)
2018-2019 Free/Reduced Lunch Applications
Students who were in a Boulder Valley School District last year ( 2017-18 ) and were on Free/Reduced lunch will have a 30 day grace period for the 2018-19 school year. A new application must be made and approved by no later than September 28, 2018 or students will be charged for lunches. Students from out of District must apply immediately in order to get approval for the 2018-19 school year.
All applications must be made online using the IC Parent Portal. If you have questions you may call the District Food Services office at 720-561-5042. You may also call Bob Lopez at BHMS at 720-561-8491.
Homework Club has begun! This is a supervised time before school on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays from 7:45 AM to 8:30 AM in the cafetorium. (There is no Homework Club on Wednesdays.) Students must sign in at the front office before attending, and they must have school work to do. Students also need to arrive prior to 8:25 to attend Homework Club.
Enrichment at BHMS
Enrichment at BHMS
TAG is now GT (Gifted and Talented)
Understanding Gifted Friendship, a session with Catherine Zakoian, presented by Boulder Valley Gifted and Talented (separate from BVSD) see link below!
Encourage, Enhance and Expand Executive Functioning Skills with Susan Keeley Presented by Boulder Valley Gifted and Talented. See link below!
Destination Imagination Update!
If you are interested, please email me and I can connect you with others who would like to form a team. This is a parent run club, and as of yet, I don't believe any teams have formally started!
It's time to launch another year of Destination Imagination!
1. Welcome back Regional Director, Tanya Shimonek! After successfully launching the NOCO Canyon Tournament in Berthoud last year, Tanya is stepping into her second year as Regional Director for the tournament on March 2, 2019 (BVSD location TBD). I remain the BVSD district coordinator helping with team formation and Team Manager hiring. Once teams are formed, please contact email@example.com with registration and tournament questions. We are looking forward to continuing our tournament partnership with Tanya at the helm.
2. Go through the Hiring Process: If you are a BVSD school team, and you are not a BVSD employee, the first thing to do is go through the hiring process. The process, outlined in this step-by-step document, has been streamlined and is quite easy to do - I promise. As you may know, our policy states that a BVSD employee must be present at all DI team meetings. Therefore, many DI Team Managers will be hired by our office for a minimal stipend. Here is the link to the application for DI Team Manager. Be sure to reference the outline above as you go through the hiring steps. THANK YOU FOR NOT MEETING AS A TEAM UNTIL THIS POLICY HAS BEEN MET.
3. Form a Team: Here are the instructions, including a Challenge overview, from the DICO website. Please contact me if you need to get connected to other parents/students in your school and I will do my best to help you.
4. Purchase a team number: All teams should purchase their own team numbers independent of our office. There is no group discount and the team prices are $150 for both Challenge and Rising Stars. Here is the link to the DI store.
5. Attend our DI Info Night: Thursday, October 4, at 6 pm here at the Ed Center (6500 E. Arapahoe Road).
6. Attend Team Manager Training: DICO will host several sessions this fall, including a special TM training designed for the NOCO Canyon Region on October 24 at the Thompson School District Office (800 S. Taft, Loveland), time TBD.
7. Register for the Boulder DI Tournament: No hurry! We will use the DICO registration system again this year, and the deadline is January 25, 2019. All teams will be required to pay a $50 fee.
GT Parent Support Initiative:
First date is September 27th, come join other families from across the district to learn more about GT in BVSD. Please RSVP, link in the flyer!
Attention all TAG families! Please sign up for an ALP appointment time slot on this spreadsheet!
If you have any questions, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are unable to make any of the available times, we will also be available by request before and after school. Thank you for your support in getting these plans written.
Club Meeting Times and Places for 2018-2019 School Year:
*Please note, any and all students are welcome to join ALL of these clubs, you do not have to be TAG identified to join in the fun!
TAG-Wednesdays after school from 3:45-4:45pm in the Innovation Area beginning on 8/22
Brain Bowl: Friday Morning from 7:45-8:30am in Room 204 beginning on 8/24
Battle of the Books: Tuesdays after school from 3:45-4:45 (we will begin once the book list is made available which should be in late September or early October)
Destination Imagination: This is a parent run activity, if your student is interested, please email me and I will put together an email list of interested families! You must form your own groups, I will help facilitate the process (email@example.com)
2019 Great Words, Great Works Book List
Each year, the Scripps National Spelling Bee publishes its School Spelling Bee Study List, a list of 450 words to help students prepare for a school-level spelling bee. These 450 words come from a list of books carefully selected by the Bee’s editorial team for their engaging and age-appropriate content, as well as their rich vocabulary. That list of books is called the Great Words, Great Works list.
Attention TAG Parents! Are you interested in attending a conference?
Parent Institute registration is open!On Monday evening, October 22, 2018, please join us for the Parent Institute at our 41st Annual CAGT Conference: "Putting the Pieces Together: Understanding Giftedness". This is a time for parents, guardians and educators interested in gifted children to come together to hear national and local experts share their knowledge and answer some of your questions. For more information please click here.
The attendance office needs to be notified of ALL absences. If we don’t receive an attendance email or phone call, your student will be marked Unexcused for that day. If you need to pick up your student during the school day, we appreciate an early phone call so we can deliver a pass ahead of time. Please report all absences via email at http://bhm.bvsd.org/parents/Pages/Report-Absence.aspx or call 720-561-8402.
M, T, Th, F
Breakfast students only - 8:15
First bell - 8:33
School begins - 8:40
Breakfast students only - 9:15
First bell - 9:28
School begins - 9:35