Week of November 10th-14th
Dear PACE Parents,
This week we looked at the elements of systems. That led into our lesson on Chinese writing systems. We practiced writing our names using Chinese characters. Then we worked with Chinese numbers and did some calculations. We also learned about Confucius and his teachings.
The class sessions go by so fast and it is hard to cover everything I hope to accomplish!
1. Write 5 math problems using the Ancient Chinese number symbols (see below). On a separate sheet of paper, write the answers, both in our numbers and Chinese numbers.
2. Choose one saying of Confucius and write a paragraph telling what it means and where you have seen people behaving in that way.
3.Write a sentence that tells what you like to learn about and something you have learned. Research Chinese symbols and try write the sentence in Chinese. (Example: I like learning about countries. I have learned about China. –then write it in Chinese)
- Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it.
- I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
- It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.
- Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in getting up every time we do.
- Study the past if you would define the future.
- When anger arises, think of the consequences.
- Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart.
Ancient Chinese Number Symbols
Upcoming Opportunities for Parents of Gifted Students
GEMSS (Gifted Eagle Mountain-Saginaw Students) Lunch & Learn
Tuesday, Nov. 18th, 11:30am-1pm
Mama's Texican Kitchen, 8545 Boat Club Rd, Fort Worth, TX 76179
GEMSS next Lunch & Learn is set for Tuesday, November 18th, 11:30 – 1:00, at Mama’s Texican Kitchen, 8545 Boat Club Road. Our program will feature an expert panel of three high-achieving mothers of elementary, middle, high school and college gifted & talented children. Hear Mari Gonzales, Carol Siegel and Melva Wyatt share their parenting experiences of their gifted & talented children and learn from their families’ academic challenges and choices. Their children have been involved in Duke TIP, TAMS, TALH, FWAFA and more. All have children that have attended or are attending schools in EM-S ISD. If interested in joining GEMSS and/or attending the Lunch & Learn, please rsvp to Bettina Flunker, email@example.com.
2014 TAGT Parent Conference
TAGT(Texas Association for Gifted and Talented) 2014 will join together nearly 2,000 educators and parents who share a passion for gifted education! The annual conference will be December 3-5 at the Fort Worth Convention Center. This unique experience features over 150 training sessions in 15 strands of designated subjects. TAGT is an approved provider of CE credit for educators, counselors, psychologists and school board members. Additionally, a one-day Parent Conference will be held Friday, December 5.
The TAGT 2014 Parent Conference will be held December 5 at the Fort Worth Convention Center. Presentations will focus on parenting strategies, meeting the social and emotional needs of gifted youth, educational enrichment and other relevant topics. This is a great time for parents and guardians to come together, ask questions and learn more about how the unique needs of gifted children can be met in the home, classroom and community.