The Ravens' Nest
Randolph Early College High School Newsletter
Week of March 21, 2022
There are LOTS of things going on at RECHS! Please read the entire newsletter!
Class of 2022 Graduation Information is here!
Juniors will also receive a flyer with their report concerning information about the meningitis vaccine they must have before senior year.
Youth Art Month at the Randolph Arts Guild
For the month of March, the Arts Guild has featured art from Randolph County School System students, elementary through high school. RECHS students, Lisa Ean and Laysha Ramirez Cruz, have art featured in this exhibit.
Support the RECHS Drama Club!
International Committee of the Red Cross Fundraiser
Junior Civitans Basket Donations
"You're Going to Be a Senior! Now What?!"
The Commons will be closed to all students April 18-22, 2022. Please begin making arrangements if you use the commons on a daily basis.
Announcements from Ms. Perry, RCC Liaison
RCC Registration for 10th-11th Graders
- All current 10th and 11th grade students must schedule an advising appointment with our liaison, Mrs. Perry prior to RCC registration.
- Students can schedule appointments with Mrs. Perry from now until April 4, 2022.
- RCC Registration will open April 11, 2022 for Fall '22 semester.
- RECHS students will not be allowed to register for college classes until they complete their advising meeting.
- When you schedule your appointment, you must indicate whether you are requesting an in-person or virtual meeting. Not during academic class time.
- Parents and guardians are more than welcome to attend to these meetings.
Seniors, if you have not already applied for college graduation please do so immediately.
If you have login issues with your online classes come see me or call the helpdesk 336-625-1573
9th Grade-----$19.00 (Instructional and Science Fees)
10th Grade---$17.00 (Instructional and Science Fees)
11th Grade---$17.00 (Instructional and Science Fees)
12th Grade---$42.00 (Instructional and graduation)
Fees go to providing educational opportunities for students such as subscriptions, lab materials, supplemental books, etc.
March is Women's History Month! Learn More here - https://womenshistorymonth.gov/
- - - - -
Important upcoming dates –
- Mar 30 - Blood Drive 10am-4pm (See below to make an appointment)
- Mar 31 - SGA elections packets due (details below)
You can always find the college’s calendar on our website at https://www.randolph.edu/calendar/index.aspx
- - - - -
SGA elections will take place on April 13th via electronic ballot. If you want to declare your candidacy for any of the above positions, please begin attending SGA meetings and complete this candidacy packet - https://bit.ly/3LSaVb2
- - - - -
SGA is bringing back our "Find The Armadillo" Challenge and will give away a number of prizes for services like Netflix, Hulu, and others through a virtual hunt for an armadillo! Here’s how you can win!
1) Follow SGA on Instagram at @randolphccsga https://www.instagram.com/randolphccsga/
2) Check our Instagram story each Friday at 11am for a picture of our little armadillo friend and this week’s prize located somewhere in Randolph County
3) Email your answer to the armadillo’s location to firstname.lastname@example.org use your RCC student email address before our Instagram story disappears from our page!
4) If you are the first correct answer for that week, you win that week’s prize
5) Even if you are not first, if your answer is correct, you are entered in a drawing for a grand prize at the end of our contest. Each correct answer enters you in the final drawing again! So, for each week you submit a correct answer, you increase your odds of winning the grand prize!
If you have questions, please email Shane Bryson, Director for Student Life & Recruitment at email@example.com
See our flier for this here! - https://bit.ly/3kRtXmh
- - - - -
Uwharrie Dreams - To join the online community of Uwharrie Dreams and unlock new creative writing opportunities, contact Professor Victoria Davis firstname.lastname@example.org or Dr. Gregory Vance email@example.com . The club is operating in an entirely online, self-paced format in Moodle for the spring semester of 2022. Check our flier for details - https://bit.ly/3HgFip7
- - - - -
Have you heard that RCC has a new Esports Club? Check out their flier here - https://bit.ly/3sWB7sz They also have a Discord! You can find it here - https://discord.gg/TTK5MhSvDR If you have questions about the club, please contact their student representative, Caleb Robbins at firstname.lastname@example.org or their Club Advisor, Loryn Smith at email@example.com
- - - - -
To find information on Student Life at RCC, links to our social media accounts along with the College's main accounts, and more info on our clubs and student organizations, or even the Armadillo Cafe Menu check our LinkTree for SGA - https://linktr.ee/randolphsga
If you have received an email or text about joining an honors society....
The following message was sent to all student email accounts via AVISO on 3/14/22. If you know students who have recently received a text message about joining an honors society, please refer them to this message. Thanks!
In recent days, many of our students have reported receiving text messages from an “honors society” group. It is not uncommon for students to receive emails every so often from organizations calling themselves honor societies and advertising that their members get exclusive opportunities, such as scholarships, connections to potential employers as well as a status that will be a helpful addition to a resume in exchange for purchasing a membership.
It must be noted that not all of these organizations are necessarily legitimate. Whether they actually deliver on the memberships that students purchase is what you should consider before committing to paying membership fees.
The Association of College Honor Societies evaluates the credibility of honors societies and has identified red flags for students to determine if an organization is legitimate, including the minimum academic performance required to join the organization, offering campus chapters, their organizational governance, and website criteria.
An invitation to join an honor society can be a great opportunity for a student if the society is credible. Doing additional research before paying any membership fees can be well worth it.
It should be stated that the only Honors Society officially affiliated with Randolph Community College is the Beta Theta Rho chapter of Phi Theta Kappa. Students are invited to PTK each spring and fall semester if they have completed 12 credit hours and possess a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or above. PTK members participate in a number of service projects both on and off campus each year with various local groups such as the NC Zoo, Boys and Girls Club, Communities In Schools and others. Students are sent an invitation to PTK via letter in an official RCC envelope and an email from our PTK advisor, Mr. Clark Adams.
RCC Graduation Application
RECHS Expectations Concerning Absences Due to Quarantine
- Students must check their high school and college email daily.
- Students need to email their high school teachers daily by 12:00 pm for attendance purposes.
- Students need to check Canvas and Moodle daily.
- Students need to communicate with their college instructors.
- Students need to complete the Covid Exposure Concern form for RCC.
Campbell University STEM Camp
Save the Date!
Holiday: April 15
Teacher Workday: April 18
Junior Parent Meeting: April 19, 6:00pm, LRC
Prom: April 23, 2022
Textbook Collection: May 9 and May 10, 12:00pm-4:00pm, Room 113
Celebration of Achievement: May 12, 2022, 6:00pm, Journey Church
Graduation Practice: May 19, 2022, 9:00am, Journey Church
Graduation: May 20, 2022, 10:00am, Journey Church, Ticketed Event