Biography Research Project Kate Angelelli
Childhood and Personal Life
- His mother was a stern woman who ruled the household
- when he wrote his mother he address her "Honormadame"
- His father past away when he was eleven
- His father, Augustine Washington became a prosper tobacco farmer
- Augustine married and had 2 sons and one daughter
- In 1730 his wife died
- Then Augustine married Mary Ball
- There first born was George
- George has 4 sibling
- Also his mother showed little emotion
- George was born in February 1732
- George married Martha Dandrigecustis in January 1759
- George and Martha lived at mount vernon
- December 14, 1799 he died when he was 67 years old
- At 16 young George became a surveyor and mapped with they money he bought 1459 acres of land
- At 20 he adjustant general for southern part of colony.
- At the beginning pf the French and Indian War he was a messenger but a war hero because of his fighting ability.
- George understood the Indian style of fighting
- June 16,1775 George was elected by congress to become "Commander in Chief"
- Washington was a fearless leader during the Revolutionary war dispite many deafts
- In 1783 Cornwallis sent word to Washington that the British would surrender
- Washington gave his power as general up to return home to mount vernon and impressed the world because he surrendered his power.
- 1787 Washington presided over Constitutional Convention
- February 4,1789 all 69 electors of the electors of the the electoral college voted George Washington to be president
- He said "I greatly fear that my countrymen will expect to much of me."
- He was to be address as "Mr. President"
- He traveled through states and met with local officials
- He used veto power
- He passed bills to become laws
- He set a standard for a 2 term, 4 year presidential term
- He established the capital on the Potomac river
- capital was named Washington after him
- March 15,1797 went home to Mount Vernon
- His home was cirumbling and neglected
- Washington spent time refurbing house & working to build a plantion
- He entertianed a lot and enjoyed company
- He was a slave owner
- At his death all 123 slaves were freed
- He devoted him self for the last 2 and a half years of his life to his family, farm operations and cared of his slaves.
- Washington refused to yied to the general pressure for a 3 term
- He was an excellent horseman and understood the land which helped him to be a great military man in the rugged land of the colonies
- He was cool under fire and able to make quick decisions in battle
- He was devoted to the men who served him
- The men under the him saw him as a hero
- He was elegant statesman and loved to entertain and talked with people
- He thought being a president was a hard job and struggled with fighting and discontent among the colonist.
- He did not win every battle but he kept his little army in tact
- He avioded war and treaties as president
- He was as careful not to want and keep power for himself
January, Brendan. George Washington: America's 1st President. New York: Children's, 2003. Print.
Nevins, Allan. "Retirement." Encyclopedia Britannica Online. Encyclopedia Britannica, 28 Jan. 2015. Web. 31 Mar. 2015.