Domestic violence and abuse
By Parker Kutschall and Kalen Hawley
Domestic violence is well heard of in our society. This is when the husband hits the wife, or it's the other way around. Domestic violence is illegal in the United States. Here are statistics from 2012:
• Women Killed: 114
• Family violence incidents: 188,992
• Adults sheltered: 11,994
• Children sheltered: 14,534
• Adults receiving nonresidential services (i.e., counseling, legal advocacy, etc.): 36,831
• Children receiving nonresidential services: 15,694
• Adults denied shelter (due to lack of space): 26.2%
• Hotline calls answered: 191,301
- Men are victims of nearly 3 million physical assaults in the USA.
- 1 in 4 women will experience domestic violence during her lifetime.
- More than 60% of domestic violence incidents happen at home.
- More than 4 million women experience physical assault and rape by their partners.