JTMS Counseling Newsletter
December 14, 2020
New Schedule Reminders!
- All students have a new schedule to follow (periods 1-8 on your schedule)
- Many students have a new homeroom/Flex. For all students, homeroom and flex are with the same teacher in the same room
- If you are fully remote (or on your asynchronous days), you must fill out the google attendance form posted on your homeroom google classroom between 7:25 and 7:30, every morning (including Wednesdays!)
- You only attend PE on your cohort days (whether you are remote or in-person)
- ALL other classes have google meets for remote students or students on non-cohort days on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday
- Band and Chorus have synchronous rehearsal on Wednesdays
- All students must wipe down their desks and chairs before leaving each class
If you still have questions or are confused, please email your school counselor.. we are here to help!
Coping With Change
Be flexible and don’t fight it – Recognize that some stress is OK so go with the flow.
Allow yourself time to adjust – New habits and routines take time but you will get there.
Name your fears and turn to others for support – think about the worst case scenario that comes to mind and talk with others about how you would cope with it.
Find the positive – Change can be good. Keep repeating this to yourself.
Find the humor in the situation – This will help you see things from a different perspective.
Take care of yourself – Focus on eating well, getting enough sleep, exercising and relaxing using deep breathing, meditation or yoga.
Most of these coping skills have one thing in common: they involve changing your mindset (the way you think about things.) Just like a computer, our brain can only provide us with information based on how we program it. A great way to describe that is “garbage in, garbage out”. If you focus your brains on the negative, scary things, you will feel negative and scared. If you start to program your brain with uplifting, positive information you will start to feel less stress about the changes and will become more resilient and able to handle any change that comes your way.
Mindful Walkabout- Grade 6
Essentials with Miss Ellingsen
The Science of Kindness
JTMS Counseling Department
Miss Ellingsen, Mrs. LaCatena, and Ms. Martino