NEISD Library Services
Week of October 12 - 16, 2015
In this Friday Focus:
- Video Conferencing at the October Principals' Meeting
- Professional Development Opportunities (Reposted)
- Shannon Miller Webinar - Putting the A in STEAM
- Using Littlebits in Your Library Makerspace
- School Libraries and House Bill 5
- San Antonio Book Festival Fiction Contest (MS & HS)
- Author Visits
- Texas Bluebonnet Award Information (ES)
- Reminders & Updates
Bulverde Creek ES Library
Michele Bennett is creating a new MakerSpace area in the library - The Collaboratory!
Churchill HS Cluster PD
On Monday, the Churchill cluster met for PD and one of the sessions was MakerSpaces.
Encino Park ES Library
First meeting of the new Encino Park MakerSpace Club!
Video Conferencing at the October Principals' Meeting
Students led the conversation and answered Dr. Gottardy's questions through a video conferencing session broadcast at the Principals' meeting.
I think the principals were impressed!
Click on the link below to see the full details of Fall PD Offerings
Shannon Miller Webinar - Putting the A in STEAM
How does music enhance learning? Join Shannon McClintock Miller on October 28 from 3:30-4:30 CDT to learn about all things Cantata.
Using Littlebits in Your Library Makerspace
Colleen Graves, Library MakerSpaces
School Library Journal
In this webinar, you’ll get up close with littleBits staff and Teacher Librarian Colleen Graves from Denton ISD, TX about the many ways you can use littleBits in your library makerspace. We’ll discuss how to guide students through design challenges, fixed stations versus workshops, building a maker community, organizing your Bits, and share tips and tricks from other savvy maker librarians.
Thursday, October 29 at 3:00 ET
School Libraries and House Bill 5
Reposted from Texas Library Connection
Austin ISD's Maya McElroy has some great suggestions to help campus libraries contribute usefully to the administration's HB5 documentation. It's easy because you are already doing the things - all you add is the letting you light shine piece: telling campus leadership.
San Antonio Book Festival Fiction Contest (MS & HS)
The Fiction Contest is a wonderful opportunity for young writers and storytellers to showcase their creativity. Winners from each grade category will not only have their work showcased at the San Antonio Book Festival, but will be awarded CASH PRIZES, as well as getting the chance to ride on the officialTexas Cavaliers Fiesta float in the river parade!
For more information, please visit San Antonio Book Festival
Cyndi Levesque - Backcut
I am a retired CPS Energy (San Antonio) environmental manager, write an informative blog on current environmental issues, and wrote an environmental mystery called Backcut. I would like to offer your high school libraries a free copy of my book and provide an opportunity to do an author visit and/or environmental presentation on topics in my book. My book is sold by Barnes and Noble and Amazon among others and is in the local San Antonio library system.
Please check out my web site and environmental blog:
Elementary School Libraries
Polly Holyoke - Neptune series
Polly Holyoke, the author of Neptune books on the 2014/15 Bluebonnet Award list, is available for assembly presentations and writing workshops in January, February, and April, 2016.
Texas Bluebonnet Award Information (ES)
Reposted from TLC
Texas Children's Librarians and Bluebonnet Members, (pardon cross postings)
1. All Student Luncheon Participation forms are due by Nov 1 to Kelli Phelan. Remember one from each district is chosen.
2. All Selection and Program Committee applications and recommendations are due to Mariah Aguilar at TLA by Nov 1.
3. Make sure you register for TBA so that you can vote and use all the TBA resources including logos. When you register, you will watch a 5 minute video which explains appropriate use of the logos and materials. http://txla.org/TBA-forms Register online or print the registration form. (video: https://goo.gl/9hxeFg )
4. Please use all the resources that the Program Committee has put together for you at: https://texasbluebonnetaward2016.wordpress.com/
They include Youtube/TeacherTube author/illustrator interview videos, book trailers, Bound To Stay Bound sponsored Readers Theaters, discussion questions, read-alike, hands-on activities, website connections.
5. AND if you are "dying" to know what books made the brand NEW 2016-17 Master List, head to Austin to the Texas Book Festival this Saturday, Oct. 17 to the Children's Tent at 12:30, to hear the announcement and possibly meet some of the authors and illustrators. If you can't make it, watch for the Facebook, Twitter and TBA website posts and updates.
Mary Jo Humphreys
Texas Bluebonnet Award
Texas Library Association
Reminders & Updates
Please hide or remove the link/information regarding Hispanic Heritage month. The time frame was Sept. 15 - Oct. 15.
OverDrive stats for Oct. 1-15, 2015
5,512 total checkouts
Almost a 25% increase from last year!
(the same period last year: 4,417 total checkouts)