FAC Weekly Update
October 25, 2019
Good afternoon, Fine Arts Center Family
I hope you had a wonderful week! Here is the latest from the halls of the Fine Arts Center...
This Week's Student Leadership Lesson
"I've never known a man worth his salt who in the long run, deep down in his heart, didn't appreciate the grind, the discipline. I firmly believe that any man's finest hour - this greatest fulfillment to all he holds dear - is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."
- Coach Vince Lombardi
*Please note that Coach Lombardi worked with NFL players. Therefore, substitute the word "man" in the above quote with the word "person." Substitute "he" for "he or she." All humans, female or male, benefit from embracing toughness, grit, and discipline. These character traits do not discriminate against gender, race, color, or creed.
From the Fine Arts Center pARTners
SAVE THE DATE - RAISE CRAZE
The first big fundraiser of the 2019-20 School Year kicks off on Friday, November 1 - RAISE CRAZE is back at the FAC!
- Go to https://smile.amazon.com - You may need to log into your Amazon account at some point in this process
- A popup box appears to select a charity.
- Type in “Fine Arts Center Partners” in the search box, click enter.
- Click on the select box next to “Fine Arts Center Partners” in the list of search results.
- Click on the checkbox that says “Yes, I understand that I must always start at smile.amazon.com to support Fine Arts Center Partners.”
Support our FAC Students and Faculty!
- Come out to the 5th Annual Reedy Reels Film Festival on Saturday, November 2nd to support FAC Students Hailie Gold, Isaiah Edwards, and Galen Cunningham! Their films will be screened at 10:30 a.m. at the Peace Center. Please visit http://www.reedyreels.com for more information.
- Mater Dolorosa: Recent Work by April Dauscha (Visual Arts Faculty) - Opening Reception - Friday, November 1, 6-7:30 p.m., Thompson Art Gallery @ Furman University
Did we miss anything that features our students? Please email Mr. Popat with information.
FAC Days of Dance - TOMORROW!
STUDENTS - Help Us Promote the FAC!
- Create a school-appropriate (rated G...keep it classy, people) meme that expresses what you love about the FAC
- Use your GCS email address to send it to Mr. Popat (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- We will select the top 5 entries to circulate around our social media platforms
The creators of the top 5 memes will also get a pizza lunch at the FAC. Good luck, and have fun!
Fine Arts Center Class Rings
- For students who do not attend a GCS High School, you will have the opportunity to purchase the FAC ring.
- Students who go to a GCS High School can either purchase a ring at their home-base school or at the FAC.
- For those GCS High Schools that use Herff-Jones as the vendor: the ring from the home-base school will include an option to have the FAC logo on one side of the ring. This is a new feature that will allow students to represent both their home-base school and the FAC in one purchase, rather than feeling like they have to buy a ring from both schools!
Please feel free to reach out to us with any questions.
APPLICATIONS for the 2019-2020 SCHOOL YEAR
All FAC Students must apply yearly for admission to the Fine Arts Center. The application for the 2020-2021 School Year is now available on our website - http://www.fineartscenter.net. The application closes on December 20, so please be sure to handle this task ASAP. Kindly note that there are some open-ended questions on the application that our returning students need to complete. We expect our students to reflect on the questions and respond thoughtfully.
Want to help raise funds for the Fine Arts Center? Simply shop at Publix! Click on the following link for directions and information - https://corporate.publix.com/community/corporate-campaigns/publix-partners.
Friday Studio Access
Studio access will end on Fridays at 4:30 p.m. This applies to all Fridays. Please be sure that you have wrapped up your activities by that time and have arranged for prompt transportation.
- October 28 and 29: No School for Students - Teacher Work Days
- October 30: Report Cards Sent Home
- November 6: Brass, Woodwinds, and Percussion Concert - 7:00 p.m., Recital Hall
- November 11-15: Visual Arts Residency - Peace Papers
- November 13: Visual Arts Fundraiser @ SIDEWALL PIZZA - all day!
- November 20: Jazz Concert - 1:30 p.m. Class - 7:00 p.m., Recital Hall
- November 21-23: Fall Theatre Production - "Anon(ymous)"