Principal Palermo's News
Lakeview Elementary - April 12, 2019
What's happening at Lakeview?
OU Spring Game - date and time change to tonight!
On April 1st, OU sent out flyers on PeachJar for the OU Spring Game. Due to weather concerns for Saturday, the football game has moved to Friday 4/12, at 7:30pm with the concert beginning at 6:30pm.
REPEAT - FREE BREAKFAST - Month of April
NPS Child Nutrition and Sodexo will be providing free breakfast for all students for the month of April. The free breakfast is optional but open to all students!
See this link for more information
Share Fair and Science Fair Forms Due Thursday!
Talent Show Auditions 4/29 & 4/30
Our Partner in Education is having a poster contest - check out the flyer in Peachjar
Repeat - State Testing Begins April 1
At Lakeview, we encourage our students and families to treat testing like any other day-- we arrive at school on time and try our best. That is all we ask our students to do. Please join us in easing stress and anxiety by doing all we can to maintain normalcy during testing. Below are test-taking tips to share with your child.
- Encourage your child to stay calm and breathe. Confident children do better on tests.
- Eat a normal breakfast. Special breakfasts could upset their stomachs.
- Arrive on time. Testing will begin immediately in the mornings.
- Make sure your child understands that directions are important. If he/she does not understand the directions, he/she is encouraged to raise his/her hand and ask questions before the testing begins.
- Students should read each question and answer choice carefully, and choose the best answer for each question.
- Students should not spend too much time on any one question. If a question takes too long to answer, they should skip it and answer the other questions. They may return to any skipped questions within that test after they have finished all other questions.
- Students should check their work if they finish early. The extra time may be used to answer any questions that they may have skipped. It is NOT a timed test so they can use as much time as needed.
Again, most importantly, we want each student to show what they know. They have worked hard all year, this is just a chance to show off all that knowledge!
Additionally please encourage your 4th and 5th grade students to treat the online test like any other test. It is our expectation that students should avoid "playing around" or just clicking through the test. Additionally, the test cannot be idle for more than 60 minutes so it is important that the students stay engaged in the testing process.
We are looking forward to a stress-free testing season!
Repeat - Testing Schedule
Mon., 4/15/19: 5th Grade ELA #2
Tue., 4/16/19: 5th Grade ELA #3
Wed., 4/17/19: 5th Grade ELA #1
Mon., 4/22/19: 4th Grade Math #1
Tues., 4/23/19: 4th Grade Math #2
Repeat - State Testing Materials on-line
Students have begun taking practice tests this week. Please find the links to the Parent, Student & Teacher Guide (PSTG) listed below for your review. The practice tests are included in the PSTG's. It would be a good idea for parents to review the practice questions and reading selections with your children. NOTE: 4th and 5th Grade PSTG's are only available electronically, if you need access, please feel free to visit our school, or request a hard copy if needed. Third-grade PSTG's will be going home when practice tests are complete.
- Grade 3rd (ELA & Math)
- Grade 4th (ELA & Math)
- Grade 5th (ELA, Math & Science)
- Grade 6th (ELA & Math)
- Grade 7th (ELA & Math)
- Grade 8th (ELA, Math & Science)
- Grade 11th (Science & U.S. History)
Repeat - Please Complete Parent Survey
As you may be aware, each school creates goals on an annual basis. The survey is intended to provide your principal with valuable feedback to ensure that they are focussing their efforts in the right areas. We ask that everyone participates in order for us to achieve our district goal of continuous improvement.
The survey consists of 20 questions and should take approximately 10 minutes to complete. Your survey is anonymous and the only identifying information gathered is the name of your school.
After the completion of the survey, your principal will analyze the results along with the student and teacher surveys that will also be conducted this month.
Thank you in advance for your participation. Please respond by Friday, April 26, 2019.
Upcoming Calendar Events
4/12/19- 1st Grade Field Trips
4/17/19- Lakeview Sonic Night 5:00 pm - 8:00 pm
4/19/19- Kindergarten Field Trip - Myriad Gardens
4/23/19- Lakeview Hideaway Pizza Night - 4:00 pm - 9:30 pm Mention Lakeview (6:00-6:30 PTA Meeting @ Hideaway)
4/26/19- NPS Professional Day - No School
Did you know that you can always donate funds to help our school and PTA? Make checks payable to Lakeview PTA or Lakeview Elementary. Cash is welcome as well! Tax deductible.
NPS MISSION & VALUES
MISSION: To prepare and inspire all students to achieve their full potential.
VALUES: Integrity, Inclusiveness, Collaboration, Optimism