Immigration to Texas
About the Country
The African immigration settled in Texas in 1619 in Estevanico Texas.The Africans really didn't have a choice on coming to Texas, because they were owned by there slave owners, if you were African and not a slave then you could come to Texas by yourself. Some of the significant immigrants who came to Texas are Carl Postll, Jehan Friedrich, and Ernst.
Some of the foods the Africans eat are African Style Broccoli, African Banana Coconut Bake, and African Peanut Butter Candy. All of these foods are important to the African culture
Pictures of the food
African Style Brocolli
- Steam first 3 ingredients, covered, 2 minutes. Rinse broccoli mixture under cold water;
- drain well.
- Combine oil, salt and next 5 ingredients (salt through crushed red pepper) in a small skillet; cook over medium heat 2 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring constantly.
- Combine spice mixture, sour cream, vinegar, and honey in a bowl; whisk well. Add to broccoli mixture; toss well to coat. Stir in green onions just before serving, and sprinkle with nuts.
African Banana Coconut Bake
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Cut bananas crosswise into halves.
- Cut each half lengthwise into halves and arrange in greased 9-inch pie plate.
- Dot with margarine or butter and drizzle with orange and lemon juices.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar and coconut.
- Bake until coconut is golden, 8 to 10 minutes.
African Peanut Butter Candy
- Put peanut butter and honey in bowl and blend well.
- Add 1 cup powdered milk or wheat germ and blend into a stiff dough, adding more powdered milk or wheat germ as needed.
- Form mixture into small 1-inch balls or patties.
- Put coconut in flat pan.
- Roll balls or patties in coconut to coat.
- Place side by side on dish covered with wax paper, cover with another wax paper sheet, and refrigerate.
- Serve as a sweet snack treat.
The Holidays the Africans celebrate is Human Right Day, Worker's Day, and Heritage Day.