Hazeldale Hawk—Back to School News
Hazeldale Elementary School Newsletter — August 14
Note From The Principal
Dear Hazeldale Families,
For those of you new to Hazeldale, we send out communication on Wednesdays at Hazeldale using the SchoolMessenger system that will email you the link to this newsletter. Additionally, we send home a yellow folder on Wednesdays that will hold anything the teacher needs to send to you as well as flyers from our PTO.
You will see some duplication of information in this newsletter from the one I sent on August 7th. Thank you for your patience with that. We have newly enrolling families and also find that we receive the most questions about what you will find in these first few issues.
It is with great enthusiasm the staff is preparing to welcome your child back to school this September! We can’t wait to welcome your child into his/her classroom and work with you to help him/her have a great year of learning, relationship building, and memory making for the 2019-2020 school year.
We know you and your child are eager to find out who his/her teacher is and who classmates are! Teachers will return to work on Monday, August 26th, and stuff envelopes with a welcome letter for your child along with a few other important forms and pieces of information. Teachers will also email out the letter on Wednesday morning, August 28th, at approximately 8:30 am. Be sure to come to our Back to School Night on Thursday, August 29th to meet your child’s teacher and learn the important and essential pieces of information to get your child on a solid start for the school year! Please do not call the school prior to Thursday’s BTSN asking who your child’s teacher is.
We look forward to seeing you soon! Enjoy the last couple weeks of summer!
First Week of School Schedule (Parents of Kinders—take special note!):
Important Information: 2019 First Week of School Student Schedule
As noted in the District Calendar, the first day of school for many students is Tuesday, September 3, 2019. Please note the following first week schedule for elementary.
· The first day of school for students in grades 1-5 is Tuesday, September 3, 2019.
· Kindergarten: Tuesday, September 3, 2019 and Wednesday, September 4, 2019 will be reserved for individual student assessments by appointment only. Hazeldale Elementary mailed families of incoming kindergarten students their child's scheduled assessment time—the courier picked them up August 12th. Enrolled kinders, therefore, should receive this information in the mail this week. Please email the teacher's name listed on your letter if you need to reschedule or have any questions, or call the school office.
Half of each school’s kindergarten students will attend a full day of school on Thursday, September 5 (last names beginning A-L), and the other half of kindergarten students will attend school on Friday, September 6 (last names beginning M-Z; letters A-L stay home). Hazeldale will provide you with more detailed information in August. All kindergarten students will attend a full day of school on Monday, September 9, 2019.
Hazeldale Back to School Night for Parents/Annual Title 1A Meeting is THURSDAY, AUGUST 29TH
- 4:30-5:15—Families that are Bilingual (in need of interpreters for conferences) and Families of English Language Learners—Information Session and Conference Sign Ups (table also available during education Fair 6-6:30)
- 5:30-6 Classroom Presentation #1
- 6-6:30 Education FAIR in the Cafeteria
- 6:30-7 Classroom Presentation #2
Key Dates and Events Coming Up:
- Wednesday, August 28th—Check your email a little after 8:30 am for Welcome Letter from your child's teacher (also snail mailed home)
- Thursday, August 29th—Back to School Night and Annual Title iA Meeting (detailed schedule above)
- Tuesday, September 3rd—First Student Day Grades 1-5 (Kinders don't start until September 5th and 6th)
- Tuesday, September 3rd—Principal's Coffee and Chat 8:35 am in Cafeteria
- Tuesday and Wednesday, September 3rd and 4th—Individual student assessment appointments for incoming Kindergarten students
- Thursday, September 5th—First Student Day for Kinders with Last Names beginning with letters A-L (These students will stay home on September 5th)
- Thursday, September 5th—Principal's Coffee and Chat 8:35 am in Multipurpose Conference Room (For Kinder Parents)
- Friday, September 6th—First Student Day for Kinders with Last Names beginning with letters M-Z
- Friday, September 6th—Principal's Coffee and Chat 8:35 am in Multipurpose Conference Room (For Kinder Parents)
- Monday, September 9th—Volunteer Orientation 6 pm & PTO Meeting 6:30 pm in Multipurpose Conference Room
- Friday, September 20th—Principal's Coffee and Chat 8:35 am in Multipurpose Conference Room (our all school assembly is at 9:30 am and the section on the bleachers closest to the gym entrance doors is reserved for guests)
- Friday, September 20th—PTO Family Night @ 5:30 pm—Details coming soon!
- Friday, September 27th—PTO Fun Run—main fundraiser of the school year
- Monday, September 30th—Art Literacy Training 10-11 am in Art Literacy Room
Hazeldale Calendar for 2019-2020
The Hazeldale Calendar is found below the heading titled "Connect."
Staff Roster for 2019-2020 - PDF download link below
Bus Route Information & Going Home Plans for Your Child
Please fill out the downloadable form for your child's teacher to help us make sure your child goes home the correct way. Your child's teacher will make sure you get a paper copy also, likely mailed with their welcome letter the week of August 26th. Back to School Night is a great time to turn this in also, August 29th!
Free Dental Screenings
*Even though your child may have received sealants, please complete the form so they can be checked.
District and School Handbooks
BSD STUDENT & FAMILY HANDBOOK
The Student/Family Handbook (SFH), first published in 1996-97, was established to protect both students' rights and those of others. The Handbook outlines the academic, behavioral and extracurricular expectations for students and provides guidelines for dealing with behaviors that interfere with the education of students and lead to disciplinary actions. The document is written to agree with local, state and federal laws and is updated each year.
HAZELDALE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL HANDBOOK
District Goal: WE empower all students to achieve post-high school success.
Hazeldale’s Mission and Vision
Hazeldale Elementary School works to support and inspire every child to think, to learn, to care, and to engage with power and agency in a changing world.
We provide a learning environment and instruction that promotes engagement, academic excellence, self-confidence, independence, risk and resilience. We foster respect, an appreciation of self and others, and collaboration through inquiry, exploration, goal setting, and service.
Hazeldale Elementary School
The District prohibits discrimination and harassment based on any basis protected by law, including but not limited to, an individual's actual or perceived race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national or ethnic origin, marital status, age, mental or physical disability, pregnancy, familial status, economic status, veteran status, or because of a perceived or actual association with any other persons within these protected classes.