Oakwood Orchestra News
May 2015-5th Grade Edition
From Ms. Read and Mr. Duston
Can it really be May already?!? We want to start by saying how much we've enjoyed working with your students this year. They have come so far and we are excited to show what they can do! May is a really busy of time of year so grab your calendars and here we go:
If your child is continuing to 6th grade orchestra, they will need to keep their instrument over the summer. It is important for them to play during the summer so that they do not lose their hard earned skills. We will have our first concert as 6th graders in October so we have to hit the ground running in the fall. There are several local teachers who offer private lessons during the summer and that is a great way to keep students engaged. Send me an email and I'll be glad to share a list of teachers with you or you can visit the website and use the list there.
If your child has chosen another elective for next year, we are sad to see them go! The students will be playing the instruments until Wednesday, May 27th. You should be receiving information from your rental companies shortly about returning the instruments. The String and Horn Shop and Thorn Music Center usually request that you return instruments to the store directly. Lisle Violin Shop will collect instruments from Oakwood the week after school ends.
We want to take this opportunity to remind you about the practice record procedure. Students are supposed to enter their practice time in the online system by Sunday AND turn in a parent signature slip as confirmation on Mondays. We only check Essential Elements Interactive if a student turns in their parent signature page. We record the student's grade and return the parent signature page to them so that they can use it again. We use the same parent signature page for the entire six weeks.
Parent signature sheets are due on Monday but we accept them on Tuesday with no penalty per the school's policy. Starting Wednesday, the highest grade a student can make is a 60.
If you experience computer trouble and your student is unable to record their practice online, please have them record what they practiced and for how long on a piece of paper. They can turn in the paper with their parent signature slip and still receive full credit.
You can find extra copies of the practice record attached to the email and on the orchestra website under practice records.
May 5: String Drive 2015 @ 4-9 pm @ AMCHS
- I need some volunteers to help with this year's String Drive. I need parents to help direct traffic, answer questions, and supervise the instrument petting zoo. Please let me know if you are interested in volunteering for any amount of time!
May 12: Spring Concert @ 7 pm @ AMCMS Gym
- Tune @ 5:15 pm @ AMCMS Cafeteria
- Uniform: Polo, black pants/skirt, black socks/hose, and black dress shoes
May ?: Bowling Party
- At the end of May, there will be a bowling party for the 5th grade orchestra students from both Oakwood and Cypress Grove. We will rent approximately half the lanes at Grand Station and students can bowl with their orchestra friends.
May 27: Last Day to Play in Class
- This is the last day that we will play in class. Students will need to bring their instruments until this day.