Serial Killer Project
Background on the Zodiac Killer
- He acknowledged himself as "Zodiac".
- Nobody is quite sure who he is. The Zodiac Killer was NEVER Caught, but is known to have been terrorizing people in and around the San Francisco area.
- From research his targeted people are in secluded areas. He has killed couples, and individuals so there isn't a specific type of person he murdered.
- He named himself "Zodiac" in several letters written to the police and media.
- He first appeared in late 1960s and early '70s.
- The Zodiac Killer's description was believed to be a white heavy set male, who wore a hood like an executioner.
- His First Murder
- Cheri Jo Bates, a college student in Riverside, California, is believed to be his first victim whom he killed outside of her schools library on October 30, 1966. There were reports filed of a white male driving an old car at the time of the murder and the police found a males watch about 10 feet away from where the body was found and the time of the watch had stopped at around 12:23, and also had a broke 7" wristband.
- The motive of the crime was neither robbery nor rape, this was determined because her clothes, and purse were undisturbed.
- When he attacked her he left her with three slashes in the chest area, once in the back, and seven times across the throat. The weapon identified was a small knife with a blade 3 1/2" long by 1/2"wide.
- The Zodiac Killer's beginning style was by knife but later moved on to shooting.
- self-admiration: excessive self-admiration and self-centeredness
- personality disorder: in psychiatry, a personality disorder characterized by the patient's overestimation of his or her own appearance and abilities and an excessive need for admiration.
- The Zodiac Killer is Narcissistic because he wrote letters the the police and media taking responsibility for murders.
- An example of his narcissism is in his first letter written to the police as Followed:
BY _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
SHE WAS YOUNG AND BEAUTIFUL BUT NOW SHE IS BATTERED AND DEAD. SHE IS NOT THE
FIRST AND SHE WILL NOT BE THE LAST I LAY AWAKE NIGHTS THINKING ABOUT MY NEXT
VICTIM. MAYBE SHE WILL BE THE BEAUTIFUL BLOND THAT BABYSITS NEAR THE LITTLE
STORE AND WALKS DOWN THE DARK ALLEY EACH EVENING ABOUT SEVEN. OR MAYBE SHE
WILL BE THE SHAPELY BRUNETT THAT SAID XXX NO WHEN I ASKED HER FOR A DATE IN HIGH
SCHOOL. BUT MAYBE IT WILL NOT BE EITHER. BUT I SHALL CUT OFF HER FEMALE PARTS AND
DEPOSIT THEM FOR THE WHOLE CITY TO SEE. SO DON'T MAKE IT TO EASY FOR ME. KEEP
YOUR SISTERS, DAUGHTERS, AND WIVES OFF THE STREETS AND ALLEYS. MISS BATES WAS
STUPID. SHE WENT TO THE SLAUGHTER LIKE A LAMB. SHE DID NOT PUT UP A STRUGGLE. BUT
I DID. IT WAS A BALL. I FIRST CUT THE MIDDLE WIRE FROM THE DISTRIBUTOR. THEN I
WAITED FOR HER IN THE LIBRARY AND FOLLOWED HER OUT AFTER ABOUT TWO MINUTES.
THE BATTERY MUST HAVE BEEN ABOUT DEAD BY THEN. I THEN OFFERED TO HELP. SHE WAS
THEN VERY WILLING TO TALK TO ME. I TOLD HER THAT MY CAR WAS DOWN THE STREET
AND THAT I WOULD GIVE HER A LIFT HOME. WHEN WE WERE AWAY FROM THE LIBRARY
WALKING, I SAID IT WAS ABOUT TIME. SHE ASKED ME, "ABOUT TIME FOR WHAT?" I SAID IT
WAS ABOUT TIME FOR HER TO DIE. I GRABBED HER AROUND THE NECK WITH MY HAND OVER
HER MOUTH AND MY OTHER HAND WITH A SMALL KNIFE AT HER THROAT. SHE WENT VERY
WILLINGLY. HER BREAST FELT WARM AND VERY FIRM UNDER MY HANDS, BUT ONLY ONE
THING WAS ON MY MIND. MAKING HER PAY FOR ALL THE BRUSH OFFS THAT SHE HAD GIVEN
ME DURING THE YEARS PRIOR. SHE DIED HARD. SHE SQUIRMED AND SHOOK AS I CHOCKED
HER, AND HER LIPS TWICHED. SHE LET OUT A SCREAM ONCE AND I KICKED HER IN THE HEAD
TO SHUT HER UP. I PLUNGED THE KNIFE INTO HER AND IT BROKE. I THEN FINISHED THE JOB
BY CUTTING HER THROAT. I AM NOT SICK. I AM INSANE. BUT THAT WILL NOT STOP THE
GAME. THIS LETTER SHOULD BE PUBLISHED FOR ALL TO READ IT. IT JUST MIGHT SAVE THAT
GIRL IN THE ALLEY. BUT THAT'S UP TO YOU. IT WILL BE ON YOUR CONSCIENCE. NOT MINE.
YES, I DID MAKE THAT CALL TO YOU ALSO. IT WAS JUST A WARNING. BEWARE...I AM
STALKING YOUR GIRLS NOW.
CC. CHIEF OF POLICE
Letter came from : http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_killers/notorious/zodiac/2.html