By Bonny Chung
The first official New Zealand flag was created in 1834, the flag was named the 'United Tribes'. The United Tribes only stayed as New Zealand's flag for 6 years. They did not have a flag till 1902 which is now there current flag representing New Zealand. The current flag is made up of 3 colours: blue, red and white
Here are the meanings of the 3 colours:
Blue: care, trust, loyalty and determination
Red: endurance, bravery and strength
White: peace and honesty
The United Tribes Flag!
The New Zealand Flag!
New Zealand Food
In New Zealand they have a variety of favourite foods and some of those favourites are: Hokey Pokey Ice-Cream, pavlova, fish'n'chips and many more! Although New Zealanders have their favourite foods, they also still eat traditional foods and cook in traditional methods. Hangi is a traditional Maori method which is used to cook food in special Maori ceremonies. To use this method you will need to find a pit which is approximately 1 meter deep and then fill the pit up with wood and stones, this method normally takes over 3 hours to properly cook the food. The foods that they normally cook with this method are pork, chicken , beef, sweet potatoes, corn, other vegetables and many more!
This is the Hangi!
Some Interesting Places in NZ!
- Milford Sound
- Sky Tower
- Bay of Islands
- Waitomo Caves
- Waiheke Island
- Abel Tasman National Park
PS: you can see the beautiful scenery for each of those destinations below!
INTERESTING FACTS!! :D
- The Lord of the Rings series was filmed in New Zealand
- The 'Beehive' Parliament is in Wellington and is built on special springs so that it can resist earthquakes
- Dame Jenny Shipley was the name of the first female Prime Minister of New Zealand
- The national anthem is called 'God Defend New Zealand' it is usually sung in English and Maori, they sing it in Maori first then English
- In 2003, the population in New Zealand had just hit 4 million
- New Zealand is the 75th largest country
- Every year there are approximately 100 earth quakes in New Zealand
- The kiwi is a flightless and nocturnal bird, and is also New Zealand's national emblem
- There are 120 species of birds living in New Zealand
- New Zealand was the first country which allowed women to vote