St. Barnabas Elementary School
Just a few reminders..
- Flu season is upon us! As per the NY Department of Health, it is a requirement that all PK-FA and 3K-FA children receive an Influenza vaccine between July 1 and December 31 of the current school year. Flyers are attached below in the PK section of this newsletter.
- Report cards for K-8 students, whose tuition balances are up to date, were released today. Please be sure to check your email for directions along with links to sign up for virtual parent-teacher conferences that will be held on November 16th. For any families that did not receive the link via email, please scroll to the calendar schedule of this newsletter for the link. As a reminder, conferences will be booked on a first come, first serve basis. PK parents may sign up for conferences on this day as well.
- Late registration for the TACHS begins at 9 AM on 11/12 and closes on 11/14 at 11:59 PM. Parents may register via telephone or online. Late registration is only for students who missed the deadline to register on Oct. 24th.
- Our Dine to Donate school fundraiser will be held on November 15th. Please see the attached flyer below for more details. Thank you for supporting our school!
THANKSGIVING FOOD DRIVE
Beginning Monday, November 1, 2021 - Ending Monday, November 22, 2021
As another yearly tradition, SBES has collected cans of vegetables, gravy jars, boxes of pasta, stuffing and cereals, etc. for the needy in our community. Through the generosity of our families, our Main Lobby is always filled with baskets of food as we "Stop and Give Thanks" for all our blessings and help those less fortunate!
The Scholastic Book Fair is coming to SBES on November 15th until November 19th. A letter from Mrs. Cruz regarding the fair with additional details has been attached below. Please contact your child's teacher so you are aware of when your child will be able to shop at the fair. We are only accepting cash and e-wallet funds this year. Please be sure to send funds for your child in an envelope marked with their name and amount on the front. It may be helpful to include a 'wish list' on the front of the envelope for our little shoppers by viewing the online flyer.
- If your child is going to be absent, please contact the teacher and the main office directly. Additionally, all PK absences should be reported to our UPK admin, Mrs. Rivera, at firstname.lastname@example.org. A complete list of all teachers and their email addresses, should you need them, can be found on the school website. Upon return, an absence note is required. The complete absence policy can be seen below.
- On Sunday, you will receive a Google Health Survey. Please complete the form either Sunday evening or Monday morning BEFORE your child(ren) arrive to school. There will be one form for PreK and one form for K-8. Each child must have a form completed. Please scroll down for more details.
- Pre-k parents should scroll down to see the weekly newsletter for their child's class along with the lunch menu for November.
Should you need to reach me for anything, please email me at email@example.com or call (718) 324-1088.
Learning About Cells
The 6th grade concluded a learning unit on the parts of the cell by creating replica cells with all of their most important parts!
Body - ody - ody - ody!
PK3 is learning all about their body this month. Students traced, painted and labeled their own bodies in this fun activity.
Gen X/Y Influences
Our 7th grade students in Ms. Rozsas' ELA class collaborated on a multimedia project on how different generations have the ability to influence another.
Learning About Cells
Body - ody - ody - ody!
15th - Dine to Donate Fundraiser from 4PM to 10PM....Scholastic Book Fair Begins!
16th - Virtual Parent Teacher Conferences (12:30PM - 4:30PM l 5PM - 7PM)
Appointments are made on a first come - first serve basis. A spreadsheet containing all links for appointments has been emailed to all families but has also been attached below.
10th - No School for PK students (this is an adjustment from our initial school calendar)
Follow Us On Social Media
Scholastic Book Fair
All PK absence emails should be sent to your child's teacher and our UPK admin, Mrs. Rivera (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Physicals and Immunizations
As a reminder, every student must have an updated physical on file each school year. ALL students must have up-to-date immunization records and a physical exam form completed each school year. For convenience, all forms are linked below. Please note that all NYC Pre-K students, under the age of 5 by December 31, 2021, will need to have a current flu vaccine on file. For those students that require an inhaler, or other medications such as an epipen, to be administered in school, I have linked the medical administration forms.
After School- Registration now closed
After School Program- Please be sure to send a small snack. Program ends at 5:45pm. Late pickup will incur an additional fee ($1/ minute).
If you have registered for after school and have indicated that you will use the service TBD- please be sure to send an email on Sunday to your child's teacher and to the main office so that we can plan accordingly.
PK After Care students should be sent with a change of clothes and/or an extra pull-up just in case.
Grades K-8 pick up at the Cafeteria entrance located on 241st street near the main entrance to the school. PreK- pick up at the auditorium doors.
Billing--- All families should have received their first bill. Please note that September's charges were spread out throughout October- May.
COVID Weekly Health Screening
Each week you will be required to complete the Weekly Health Self-Screening Google Form on behalf of your child(ren) before entering the school building Monday mornings.
Surveys should be completed Sunday evening or Monday mornings by 7am.
Lunch at SBES- Kindergarten- Grade 8
St. Barnabas Elementary School has partnered with Division Food Service Management and MySchoolAccount.com for the managing of our lunch pre- order service and payments for the 2021-2022 school year. Please see the attached Parent Welcome Letter for more information on how to place your order. (Student Id numbers are provided from the vendor) If you have any questions please do not hesitate to reach out to Nicole Cestra at the email listed below: Nicole@Division-Hospitality.Com or 646-523-2028.
The November lunch schedule for UPK students has been posted below.
NEW students- please call Nicole to assist with your account set up.
Parent Referral Incentive:
The following credit will be applied to the referring Parent’s 2021-22 Smart Tuition account and will appear on the family’s February billing statement:
· A one-time tuition credit of $250 for each new family registered in Full-Day Pre-K 3 or 4 (not UPK) and Grades K-8, for any referring Parent whose outreach and referral efforts result in a new family registering their child(ren) at any Regional School in the Archdiocese of New York in Full-Day Pre-K 3 or 4 (not UPK) and Grades K-8 for the 2021-22 school year and remaining in good standing with the school through February 1, 2022.
· The referring Parent must
o Refer the prospective family to the school for a virtual meeting with the school principal, or his/her designee, and
o Complete and sign this referral form on or before the time of the virtual meeting with the principal to initiate the referral process. Referral forms received after the virtual meeting will not be accepted.
· The prospective family must be NEW to the school in Grades K-8, OR have a student enrolled on a full time basis in a Pre K (non UPK) program; returning families are not covered by this Program.
· The referral credit for the referring Parent will be applied to their tuition bill in time for the February billing statement provided that:
o The new family’s child has continued to be enrolled in the school through February 1, 2022, and
o The referring family has remained current on their tuition payments.
High School Shadow Days
St. Barnabas Church Corner
St. Barnabas Elementary School
Through an enriched curriculum, complete with after-school offerings, St. Barnabas provides the tools and teaches the skills necessary for future success. In the way of Jesus, our children are taught the discipline, charity and grace of our Lord.