Huffman News 1/7
January 7, 2021
The Huffman Commitment
We will work with every student, staff member, and family to develop and maintain a safe, welcoming, and inclusive learning community. We are committed to continuously improving our professional practices and take responsibility for the academic, social, and emotional growth of every student. We believe all people can grow in a positive direction.
I hope this finds you well. These are tumultuous times. I am very grateful for our Huffman community. We truly have an amazing group of students, staff, and families. In the midst of such troubling times, I am reassured when I visit our classes and see the work and energy of our students and staff. Yes, it is difficult and challenging, but good things are happening and I remain hopeful and optimistic; although it does take more positive self talk than normal.
As we prepare to welcome K-2 and Extended Resource students back to the building on Tuesday, January 19th, I wanted to provide an update and information to help you plan. Your classroom teacher will be sharing specific details over the next two weeks. I encourage you to review our Back to School Safety Plan below. It outlines important information about arrival, dismissal, picking your kids up early, and more. Please reach out with any questions.
If you plan on making any program changes, please be sure to call to inform our office at 742-5650.
On Tuesday, January 12, at 5:30pm, Nurse Krista and I will be hosting a Townhall Q & A session to provide more detailed information. K-2 and ER families will be joining us for a welcome back tour on Thursday, January 14.
For grades 3-6, teachers have communicated some schedule changes that are outlined below.
Please feel free to reach out any time with questions. As we get students back into the building, there will undoubtably be some bumps and we will evaluate and troubleshoot each step of the way. Thank you for your support and flexibility.
All the best, Chris
Huffman Townhall and Q & A - Tuesday January 12 at 5:30pm
With K-2 and ER students scheduled to return, we would like to invite you to a towhall meeting to review some of the core logistics and answer your questions.
Join Mr. Opitz and Nurse Krista for a townhall and Q&A session via Zoom. Although geared to K-2 and ER students, any Huffman families are welcome to attend.
Townhall on Tuesday, January 12, 5:30pm via Zoom
If you are unable to attend, the session will be recorded and shared as well. K-2 and ER families will also be invited for a tour on Thursday, January 14 for an in person review of the school and the logistics.
K-2 & ER Schedule
- School day: 9:30 - 3:00
- Drop off begins at 9:10am - please do not drop off before 9:10
- The playground is closed in the morning and students will go directly to their classroom's exterior door. All of this will be reviewed during your tour as well as during our townhall meeting.
Students and families will review specific logistics and procedures with our team during family tours on Thursday, January 14 and I will also review logistics during our townhall on Tuesday, January 12.
3rd Quarter Schedule Update
- Custom Schedules through January 15 in preparation for students' return - teachers will proactively communicate with families
- Thursday, 1/14 - Family Tours
- Friday, 1/15 - No Zoom Classes - Final preparations
- Tuesday, 1/19 - Back to School, 9:30 - 3:00
3rd -6th Grade:
- 9am - Language Arts Zoom - 5 days per week including Wednesday*
- 11am - Math Zoom - 5 days per week including Wednesday*
- Tues - Thurs, 1:15 - 3:00 pm - Various Small Group Support and Interventions - Teachers will communicate and schedule with individual families. If your student is not scheduled for extra support and you feel your student needs extra support, please reach out to your classroom teacher.
- Office Hours: Tuesday - Friday, 3:00 - 3:30 - Students who are missing work, have Fs, Ds, or Ns, or are not meeting iReady usage minutes will be REQUIRED to join to make up work. Of course students may join to ask questions. Teachers will communicate expectations. Our staff is committed to providing support to all students who may be struggling. We will do everything we can to not allow students to fall through the cracks.
Back to School Safety Plan
Huffman plan. Feel free to call or email with any questions.