Clarks Creek Staff News
Jan. 19-22, 2016
With Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day on Monday, I wanted to share this MLK quote (above). It seems as it it could apply to everything! There is nothing we do where staying stagnant is the best choice (minus a very a few examples I'm sure some can think of - such as finding oneself in a pool of quicksand!). Moving forward, by whatever means possible, is the best choice. We have some students who can't fly just yet, but your hard work keeps them moving forward - some by walking, some by crawling. Thanks for all you do that eventually helps our students learn to fly!
Enjoy the weekend and the extra day on Monday. I hope you are able to take advantage of time with family, some of the programs about town related to MLK Day, or completing a "pay it forward" simple kindness.
It's going to be a great week!
Announcements and Reminders
- Our PRIDE convo will be rescheduled for Friday, January 29th. That day will be an alternate schedule day. Please include this information in your parent newsletters. Parents and other relatives may attend, but the parent will need to submit names of those coming ahead of time. You will have forms to send home on Tuesday that parents can return with this information. These names submitted will be checked against PowerSchool to be certain that they are in there and all will be ID'ed at the door.
- In your mailbox, you should have found a bright green piece of paper that can be used to nominate your colleagues for recognition by the Optimist Club this year. This is a great opportunity to recognize our staff of outstanding employees! Please submit nominations to Marisa's mailbox no later than Feb. 11th. (The form says the 14th, but that will be over the weekend.)
- Valentine's Day is approaching, and the Lions' Club is once again planning to distribute valentines to our neighbors in retirement homes. If your class would be willing to participate in this great way to make someone else's day, please have the cards (or decorations, etc.) your students make to the office by 9:00 a.m. on Feb. 11th and the Lions will pick them up for delivery.
- The next STAR window has been expanded and will begin on January 25th. This will allow our ISTEP grades to move their testing up a bit if they want to move them further from the actual ISTEP testing. Misty will be coordinating this schedule with you.
- It is likely we will be going back outside for recess next week after the parent forum on Tuesday. Of course that will be weather-dependent, but I will let you know for sure when we will be going out.
- We will have a lockdown drill on Thursday morning. I will announce it over the intercom very clearly that it is a drill, but please let your students know first thing in the morning that at some point we will be holding that drill so no one is fearful that it is a real event. Early next week, remind your students of the procedures for this drill again, even though I know you did that last week when we came back. We will have a fire drill on Friday or the beginning of the next week. It looks to be fairly cold, so I will let you know for sure ahead of time exactly when it will be so students can wear their coats this time. ALSO, if you are ever in the Mind Maze at a time when there is a lockdown, leave that room through the back door and go directly to the right into the first locker room. That door can be locked behind you.
- Primary Teachers - Check out the Moby Max information that was sent out on Friday.
- Turn in Optimist nominations by Feb. 11th.
- Notify parents about the rescheduled PRIDE Convo date.
- The last chance to contribute to the Sheltering Wings silent auction basket is on Tuesday if you'd like to participate.
See a Reason for a Lockdown? Call It!
10-Day Forecast of Upcoming Events
1/18 MLK Day - NO SCHOOL
- 1/20 Body Safety - Gr. 3, 4, 5 (see schedule Cathy provided)
- 1/20 Social Studies Curriculum Meeting - 4:00 at central office
- 1/21 Lockdown Drill
- 1/25 Alternate Schedule
1/25 Staff Breakfast - Dec/Jan (Gr. 4 and 5 provide) Staff Lounge, 7:45 - 8:15
- 1/25 Battle of the Books - school rounds - afternoon per schedule
- 1/29 Battle of the Books - district final rounds - 9:30 - 11:00 in gym
Upcoming Testing Info
Our ELL students who have not tested out as "fluent English proficient" yet will be taking the WIDA Access Test on January 26, 27, and 28th. If you have students testing, you will be provided with a detailed schedule. If you work with groups of students, be aware that some of them may be out during those times.
The CogAT assessment will be given to all K and 2 students. All students who have moved into grades 1 and 3 this year from outside of the district will also test, along with any 4th and 5th grade move-ins who may be possible candidates for high ability programming at the middle school level. These tests will be given on Feb. 2, 3, and 4th for 2nd grade, and Feb. 8, 9, and 10th for K. Colleen will be providing you with a detailed schedule if you have students involved.
Battle of the Books is Coming!
Happy Birthday to These Staff Members with January Birthdays!
Andrea Barkley 1-Jan
Mimi Decker 1-Jan
Allison Morken 1-Jan
Brittany Love 2-Jan
Melinda Brunat 7-Jan
Linda Theissen 7-Jan
Jennifer Johnson 9-Jan
Jo Mongan 15-Jan
Bethany Bammann 22-Jan
Angel Hardin 22-Jan
Cathy Ellis 23-Jan
Sharon Warren 31-Jan
- Plainfield Community Schools were ranked 8th in the state on last year's ISTEP scores!
- Our first round of "body safety" lessons went very smoothly!
- The Dumpster Drummers concert has been rescheduled for Monday, Feb. 8th. at 10:15 a.m. All classes are welcome to attend, but you are not required to do so.