May 2 - May 6
"Set Sail on a Voyage of Learning!"
Celebrating Our Outstanding Teachers
Teacher Appreciation Week
Thank you for all that you do to encourage, inspire, guide, instruct, mentor, influence, coach and love the students that are in your care day in and day out. You are a blessing to your students, our staff and this community.
In honor of all that you do, PTO and administration have a few special treats planned for you this week.
Monday - Lunch (Subway) provided by PTO
Tuesday - Breakfast (bagels and muffins)
Wednesday - Special Treat
Thursday - Lunch (box lunches from Rob Deli)
Friday - Lunch (Baked Potato Bar) with Duty Free Lunch and Recess provided by PTO
Changes for 2016-2017
Our MES family will undergo a few changes in the fall that I want to make you aware of...
Ashley Lawter will be leaving us for Shoally Creek Elementary. She has been asked to open the 4K program there and has graciously accepted. Her leadership, dedication and knowledge will be missed at MES, but she is definitely the right person for the job.
Vada Allen will be transitioning from 1st grade to take over the split 4K-LLI position. Vada's LLI training and strength in literacy make her an excellent choice to take the reigns.
Krystal Poole will move from 5th grade back to 2nd grade since our 4th grade numbers do not warrant three 5th grade classes in the fall.
Amber Hughes will transition to 3rd grade to work along side Mrs. Bush and Mrs. Seay. Our large numbers in 2nd grade this year support having three 3rd grade classes in the fall.
* Don't forget to sign up for your lunch choice from Rob's Deli. The sign up sheet is on Mrs. Davis' office door. Orders must be submitted by 12pm today.
* Ambassador of the Year nominations are due today. Please place forms in the folder outside Mrs. Davis' office.
* WIDA Training (on Edivate) must be completed by Monday, May 2nd. Certificates of completion should be placed in the folder outside of Mrs. Davis' office.
* Webb’s DOK PD (on Edivate) must be completed by Monday, May 9th. Certificates of completion should be placed in the folder outside of my office.
* On April 26th, you received an electronic copy of our Faculty Meeting notes for the day. Now that you've had time to carefully read over them, be sure to sign the verification sheet on Mrs. Davis' office door. We are missing quite a few signatures.
Celebrating our Fabulous Falcon
You should have received a handful of “Fabulous Falcon” postcards last week. Over the remaining weeks of the school year, when you see a student going above and beyond what is expected or witness a student exhibiting one of the many “fabulous” behaviors that we are seeking, please complete a postcard and mail it home to the student. (Mitzi can help you with addresses and has stamps for you to use.)
You may choose to recognize students for academic achievements, making fabulous choices, being an awesome friend, etc. Students recognized do not need to come from your classroom … just a student who is deserving of some extra recognition and praise.
June 1st - Make-Up Hours
We have 7 hours left to make up from our days missed due to weather.
Last day for staff is Wednesday, June 1st
You will have the option of working late on the following days in May to trade-off the June 1st hours.
- Tuesday, May 17th ... 3pm-5pm
- Thursday, May 19th ... 3pm-5pm
- Tuesday, May 24th ... 3pm-5pm
- Thursday, May 26th ... 3pm-5pm
Additional information will be forthcoming ...
Please be sure that all students are being carefully supervised when outside. Students find creative uses for playground equipment and often their choices are unwise. Continue to remind all students of appropriate play and usage of equipment.
We will conduct regular sweeps of the playground areas - looking for fire ants and wasp nests - now that spring has arrived. Please let the office know if you see anything of concern.
Weather Make-Up Days
“The school day missed due to inclement weather on January 25th will be made up on May 31st, the last designated inclement weather make-up day on our calendar. May 26th will be a full day; the last two days, May 27th and 31st, will be half days.”
Events for the Week
TEACHER APPRECIATION WEEK
Monday, May 2nd
- Lunch provided by PTO
- PALS Assessment begins (4K)
Tuesday, May 3rd
- Bagels and Muffins for Breakfast
- 8:30pm - Compassionate School Committee Meeting (C. Davis)
- 2:45pm - 5th grade parent meeting regarding field trip
Wednesday, May 4th
- 3rd grade Field Trip - Columbia
Thursday, May 5th
- 8:00am - SIC / Title I meeting (library)
- 4K new student testing
- Box Lunches from Rob's Deli
- 1:00pm - PTO Fundraiser Celebration for qualifying students
- Gifted Art meets
- 6:00pm - Special Education Awards Night at Rainbow Lake Middle
Friday, May 6th
- Spirit Day
- Fire Drill
- Kindergarten Field Trip - Greenville Zoo
- Potato Bar and Duty Free Lunch and Recess - provided by PTO
- May 8 - Mother's Day
- May 9 - Class Pictures
- May 9 - Mayo Singers meet for the last time
- May 10 - 2nd grade Field Trip - Greenville Zoo
- May 10 - Faculty Meeting (End of the Year info)
- May 10 - D2 Board Meeting
- May 11 - SC-PASS Science (4th and 5th grades)
- May 11 - School Nurses Day
- May 12 - SC-PASS Social Studies (4th and 5th grades)
- May 12 - Gifted Art meets for the last time
- May 13 - Hat Day
- May 13 - Library books due
- May 13 - 4K Field Trip - Strawberry Hill
- May 13 - 3rd grade Field Trip - Rock Quarry
- May 16 - 5th grade GT Field Trip - Pigeon Forge
- May 16 - Faculty Meeting with Dr. Hinton
- May 17 - 1st grade Field Trip - Strawberry Hill
- May 18 - 4th grade Field Trip - Cowpens Battlefield
- May 18 - Last day to take personal days
- May 19 - Field Day
- May 20 - 5th grade Field Trip - Myrtle Beach
- May 23 - 5K Graduation
- May 24 - Field Day (rain date)
- May 25 - End of Year Awards - 1st and 2nd grades
- May 26 - End of Year Awards - 3rd and 4th grades
- May 27 - 1/2 Day for Students (11am dismissal)
- May 27 - End of the Year Awards - 5th grade
- May 30 - Memorial Day
- May 31 - Last Day for Students (11am dismissal)
- June 1 - Last Day for Staff
- June 1 - Report Cards mailed
Be sure that you are signed up to receive faculty and staff reminders! *** To receive text messages - text @79284 to 81010 or @79284 to 8644695639 *** To receive messages via email - send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org