LWTHS Mustang Message
A Message from the Principal Yolanda Flores. . .
Our campus was bustling with school spirit on Friday, May 1. It began with the Pep Rally where the Neutron players for each grade level were introduced and ended with the cheerleaders putting on remarkable dance routines for the students! The Sophomore boys could not be stopped. They handily beat the juniors 18-1 in the championship game. There was a large turn-out of staff, students and families cheering on their favorite team. Congratulations again to winning coach, Lindsey Simmons and the Sophomore team.
The week wrapped up with the Talent Show sponsored by the Sophomore Class. The students' performances varied from dance numbers, singing, rhythmic acapella, steppin', and acoustic guitars. Not to mention Mrs. Hall busting out the Vanilla Ice classic, "Ice, Ice, Baby" with back-up dancers Lisa Perez, Lindsey Simmons and other students. There was a supportive crowd that cheered on the participants and created a positive energy flowing throughout the night.
The Emcee's, Faika and Santiago did an amazing job introducing the acts and keeping the flow going smoothly. In the end, Dawn Peck, Adam Janowski, Mary Ann O'Brien, Marsha Bergquist and Carolyn Casserly had a very tough decision as they voted for the top three acts of the evening. There was a pair that tied for 1st place this year. The honor went to Pam Vazquez and Faika Sauveur for their performances. We a small school with a lot of spirit and talent!
The last day of school is coming up fast, and what a great year it has been so far. We have made some amazing memories and have captured them in the Mustang Yearbook. Sales have begun and we would like to encourage you to buy one as we have a limited print of 125 copies. The yearbook is priced at $80 and can be paid in cash, money order or personal check made payable to Lorenzo Walker Technical High School. Though this year is coming to a close, the Mustang Yearbook will ensure the memories last a lifetime.
We have the new FSA Assessment, EOC and FCAT schedule for students and parents. Please take note of the specific dates below.
*Dates may be subject to change
May 4-5: FSA EOC Algebra 1
May 7: AP Spanish Language
May 12: AP Spanish Literature
May 19: NGSSS EOC US History
May 19: NGSSS EOC Biology
May 20: NGSSS EOC Biology
Underclass Final Exam Week is May 26- June 3
CLUB SPOTLIGHT--THE BOOK CLUB
LWTHS has two book clubs, one for 9th and 10th graders and another for 11th and 12th graders. Both book clubs meet the 1st and 3rd Fridays each month. Our book clubs differ from traditional book clubs in that during book club we review and share what we are currently reading rather than discuss one book by the whole group. LWTHS has a subscription to a new book service for young adults and new books arrive monthly. Book club members have first choice to read the new books and share what they think about the book they read at the next meeting. Special events are scheduled throughout the year including the selection of a book for members to keep for themselves through a donation from the K is for Kids Foundation.
- 5/14 the 10th grade team is traveling to Kissimmee, Florida to take part in a Medieval Fair, all day
- 5/16-Four of our 9th grade students will compete against other high schools in a geocaching STEM event at Hodges University, 8:15 a.m.
- 5/16-Prom at the Naples Beach Club, 7:00 p.m.
- 5/21-Underclassmen Award Ceremony, 6:00 p.m.
- 5/22-Freshmen Spelling Bee
- 5/26-Senior Award and Scholarship Ceremony, 6:00 p.m.
- 5/29-Graduation, Gulf Coast High School Auditorium, 6:00 p.m.
Class of 2015
- Saturday, May 16th 2015 Prom at the Naples Beach Club beginning at 7 PM until 11 PM. Ticket price TBD.
- May 22 &26 are Senior Final Exams. Make-ups will be held on May 27.
- Tuesday, May 26th Senior Parent Awards Banquet beginning at 6 PM. All seniors are encouraged to attend along with their parents. The academic awards will be presented as well as scholarships awarded.
- A Senior Leave Form is going to be distributed for parents to sign students out early or arrive late after the senior exams are over. It is important for the form to be returned to the Front Office by May 26th if you are allowing your student to leave early or arrive late to school during graduation week.
• If your son / daughter will be absent, please call 377-3305 Sabrina Medal.
• To request a teacher conference, please call Blanca Rodriguez at 377-3314.
• If you would like anything included in an upcoming newsletter, please email Laurie Lattarulo, firstname.lastname@example.org.
• National Honor Society Members are currently tutoring students in a variety of Math subjects--If your child needs tutoring help, please contact Mrs. Cassio at 377-3335 or email email@example.com.
- Check out FloridaStudents.org It contains more than 1900 web-based content resources that are aligned with Florida Standards in a variety of learning formats.
SCHOOL ADVISORY COUNCIL
Our SAC Committee meets on the third Tuesday of each month from 6:00-7:00 PM in the principal's conference room at LWIT. The next SAC meeting is May 19th. Everyone is invited to attend.