Voyager Family News
Silver Strand Elementary School Week of April 8, 2019
Spotlights and Reminders: Month of the Military Child
- This week we are celebrating the Month of the Military Child with several exciting events!
- All week long we have Spirit Dress Days (Monday: Red, White, Blue; Tuesday: Crazy Camo; Wednesday: Military Supporters are Superheroes; Thursday: Sparkle and Shine; Friday: Purple Up!)
- On Friday we will have a special Friday Flagpole Assembly with a VIP guest speaker; please join us!
- On Friday afternoon before release at the end of the day, all students will be treated to pizza courtesy of our Military Liaison program.
Friday is Transitional Kindergarten Bring a Family Member to Lunch Day! Please check in at the office by 11:30 to join your child.
This week’s theme is RESILIENCE: Silver Strand students, especially those who are military dependents, have demonstrated resilience through transitions related to moves and deployments. But all of us have opportunities to practice skills of resilience when we face challenges. Resilience means identifying emotions which arise and practicing strategies to manage them, as well as using coping strategies to get through stressful situations.
Health Focus: Lice
San Diego's warmer climate makes it a more welcoming region for lice infestation among children and we want to remind our Voyager families to check your students' heads regularly.
Some facts and tips:
- Do not panic if you have lice in your family! A regular regimen of treatment and frequent checks will eradicate lice and prevent future outbreaks.
- Lice are not a sign of poor hygiene!
- Wearing hair up or combed in ponytails/braids and with hair gel help prevent spread of lice.
- Live lice look like small tan insects and are most commonly found on the scalp at the crown of the head, around the ears, and at the back hairline. Combing with a fine-toothed lice comb will remove most live lice and is a critical step of treatment. Eggs/nits look like tiny grey/white pods attached to the hair shaft close to the scalp.
- A faithful treatment regimen every seven-nine days for a three-four weeks will disrupt the reproductive cycle by eradicating live lice and new egg hatchings.
- If you have questions about lice, feel free to email our Health Technician at Frankie.Guillen@coronadousd.net.
Silver Strand Safety and Security Support from Karen Pierro
SCHOOL SAFETY POSTER
Hi students! Want to put your ART skills to use & design a school safety poster to hang in Strand Hall?
If yes, then please follow the directions below!
Each day, we practice LOTS of different ways at school to be SAFE! This poster is to showcase those SAFETY actions.
- Please put first & last name as well as grade level on the poster.
- Please choose one of the following to illustrate & label on this poster:
safety in the cafeteria drop-off safety bus riding safety walking through campus safety
safety in the cafeteria safety during PE rainy day safety safety walking to/from home
pick-up safety recess safety classroom safety
*OR, any other area you can think of!
- Students may use any media: marker, ink, paint, crayon, photographs, etc. The more colorful, the better!
- Please label what safety action is happening in your picture, and, be sure all spelling is correct!
- Posters are due to the front office BY Thurs, April 18th. They will be displayed in Strand Hall windows facing the flagpole.
HAVE FUN! Each student who makes a poster will receive a certificate & small treat!
Any questions? Please contact Ms. Pierro
Drop-Off and Pick-Up Lanes
Please use the far right near the curb to drop off and pick up (do not leave your car). The left side is for parking--please avoid passing along this side unless directed by staff to do so.
The cross walk in the middle of our drop-off and pick-up zone is reserved for visitors and families with individuals with disabilities. When parking or walking with students to school, please use the crosswalk adjacent to Strand Hall/campus.
Drop-Off and Pick-Up Lanes
Student Council News
We are looking forward to recognizing Month of the Military Child! During the week of April 8, we will have special dress days and a Friday Flagpole celebration.
PTO Updates: LUAU TIME!
ALOHA!....LUAU is coming at the end of the month! Please make sure your luau contributions are to our luau basket parent soon. This will ensure enough time to put the baskets together. Preorders for food are due at the end of this week, and prices go up and supplies are limited on the night of the event!
Thank you to our Silver Strand Voyager parent community for stepping forward to assume roles on the PTO Board! Our school is enriched through our PTO's activities for students and families and donations to our programs. Thank you for your generosity!
Coronado School Foundation Events and Updates
Thank you so much, Voyager Families! Your generous contributions during the CSF Telethon earned us the Mootime Ice Cream Party! Thank you for supporting our Specials Programs, Academic Support and Enrichment, and Band and Choir! We appreciate you! A special thank you to Renee Cavanaugh, Eric Bachman, our TK/Kindergarten and Specials teams, and all our staff, students, and families who supported the CSF Telethon through performances and donations!
Did you know that the Coronado Schools Foundation supports the Silver Strand Band, Choir, Science Lab, Visual and Performing Arts Programs, Technology Resource Teacher, Library, and academic support teachers? CSF brings STEAM to Silver Strand Elementary! Support our programs through donations to CSF here: https://csfkids.org/
Calendar of Upcoming School Events
THIS WEEK: MONTH OF MILITARY CHILD SPIRIT WEEK!
MON 4/8: “Proud to be American” Red, White, and Blue Dress Day
TUES 4/9: “Crazy Camouflage”—Camo Print Dress Day
WED 4/10: “Military Supporters are Superheroes”—Superhero Gear Dress Day
9:30: 5th Grade Electives Fair/Assembly at CMS
THUR 4/11: “Troops Allow Us to Shine Bright & Sparkle”—Sparkly/Shiny/Stars Dress Day
8:30 AM: PTO Meeting
FRI 4/12: “Purple Up! For Military Kids”—Wear Purple Dress Day
Friday Flagpole: Month of Military Child Celebration
Trustee Helen Anderson-Cruz visiting SSES
11:30: Take your Family Member to Lunch for Transitional Kindergarten
2:00-3:00PM: Month of Military Child Pizza Party for SSES
NEXT WEEK: NO SCHOOL FRIDAY 4/19 and MONDAY 4/22; Tuesday is National Librarian Day
TUES 4/16: National Librarian Day
WED 4/17: 3:00 PM: School Site Council Meeting
THUR 4/18: POEM in YOUR POCKET DAY
2:00-3:00PM: CSF Ice Cream Party at SSES
4PM: School Board Meeting/Classified Employees Recognition
FRI 4/19: NO SCHOOL
ON THE HORIZON:
No School Monday April 22
Friday, April 26: SSES Luau
April 29-May 3: Screen-Week and beginning of state testing
Coronado SAFE Events and Activities
Coronado SAFE supports healthy families and children through workshops/"coffee talks," school programs, speakers, and counseling.
SAFE Special Evening Coffee Talk
Tuesday, April 9, 2019 at 6:00-7:30 pm
CMS Granzer Hall 550 F Ave
ALL CORONADO PARENTS/GUARDIANS WELCOME
Join us for Round Table Discussions on How To Talk To Your Kids About Drugs
This presentation will have a brief overview of what students learned at the 6th grade Drug Store Program, however, it will primarily focus on how to talk to your kids about drugs.
· Myths, Reality, & Warning Signs
· Dealers, Online Ordering, “Kid” Friendly Dispensaries
· Recognizing Paraphernalia
· Addressing the Issue Without Breaking or Losing Trust
· Risk Taking and Developmentally Appropriate Behavior Among Pre-Teens and Teens Today
See https://coronadosafe.org/ for more information and to register for upcoming events.
Silver Strand Elementary School is SO fortunate to have the full-time services of our very own MFLC (Military Family Life Counselor), Gia Del George! Our MFLC is available to help students through the emotions and transitions associated with military life. If your family is facing separation due to deployment, or any transitions or challenges, please contact Ms. Gia at MFLC.Strand@coronadousd.net.
And please encourage your child to visit our Connections Room during lunch recess, open to military and non-military students alike in grades 1-5 on M, W, F! The Connections Room has the following activities on these days:
Monday: Board Games
Wednesday: Military Kids Club (MKC) ALL are welcome
Friday: Dance and Sing
For information about military-sponsored activities for youth, visit the Fleet and Family Services website here.
Stay Connected with Silver Strand Elementary School!!
Check out and "like" our Facebook page to see photos of student events and programs! https://www.facebook.com/Silver-Strand-Elementary-School-176775765849277/