by Jordan Hong
What is a Suspension Bridge?
The Pearl bridge/Akashi-Kaikyo Bridge/Japan
It took 2 million workers to construct the Pearl Bridge, that’s about half the population of New South Wales today. The bridge almost tool 12 years to build and was opened for traffic in 1998. The tower and the foundations of the suspension bridge are nearly as tall as the Eiffel tower, about 310 metres tall, as the Eiffel tower is 324 metres tall.
- Did you know that the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco has a total length of 2.737 kilometres?
- If the Golden Gate Bridge was built today it wold cost round about 1.3 billion dollars.
- The Verrazano-Narrows Bridge is a double-decker suspension bridge with 12 lanes (6 lanes upper and 6 lanes lower.
- The Verrazano-Narrows Bridge - each of the two towers contains 1 million bolts and 3 million rivets.
- the longest suspension bridge is the Akashi-Kiakyo bridge in Kobe, Japan, measuring 1,991 metres long.