Little Panther News
Issue #11, SY 2020-2021, February 26, 2021
Little Panther Families:
Our students have made quite the impact worldwide! On February 12th, our little panthers watched as over 600 cereal boxes fell like dominoes in the hallway. Through this project they learned about how giving leaves our "heartprints" for others! Our little panthers felt so good about this community service project. Thank you to all of you who donated to this project -- the folks at the food pantries were so very grateful. Many, many people who viewed the video commented about our well behaved, happy, and adorable students! It was really great for the world to see that our little panthers might be small but they surely are MIGHTY!!
Please help us out here in school:
- continue to complete the COVID screener before sending your child to school each day (see the "Everyday before school" note below)
- send your child with a clean mask daily
- send in a baggie of extra clothes for your child
- bring your ID in the building if you come to pick up your child (in case the person in the office does not yet know you)
March is reading month and we have lots of fun activities planned! Fun "dress up" days are on Tuesdays/Thursdays (to make it easy for you to remember)! Check out the calendar posted below.
My favorite quote from a student in the past few weeks . . .
- A second grader got VERY excited during NWEA testing and called me over to his screen. He pointed at the answer box and said, "Look! Does this mean it wants me to answer the square root of a number?"
Everyday is joyful at South! Thank you for sharing your little panther with us!
Carole Fetke, Principal
EVERY DAY BEFORE SCHOOL . . .
Please remember . . . families need to complete this home screening DAILY before sending your little panther to school! Check for these symptoms:
- Temperature 100 degrees F or higher
- Sore throat
- New uncontrolled cough (for students with chronic allergic/asthmatic cough, a change in their cough from baseline)
- Diarrhea, vomiting, or abdominal pain
- New onset of severe headache, especially with a fever
- New loss of taste or smell
If your child has ANY of these symptoms, keep them home from school and call your family doctor/pediatrician.
Upcoming Important Dates:
- March 2: PTO Meeting (moved from 2/23/21 due to mid-winter break) -- the link is posted below
- March 5: Spirit Day and 1/2 Day of School
- March 10: Early Release Day (Students are dismissed at 12:30 pm)
- March 19: 1/2 Day (New addition to the calendar -- date teachers/staff will receive their 2nd vaccination) -- students are dismissed at 11:00 am
- April 1: 1/2 Day
- April 2: Good Friday~No School
ALSO . . . March is Reading Month (see below for fun Reading Month activities)
The PTO pops popcorn fresh for us on Spirit Days. Students can purchase a bag for 50cents (or you can pay ahead -- $4 for the year).
The South Elementary Student Council will be selling Panther Spirit grab bags for $3 each.
You can send money into school with your child for these items -- please put it in an envelope and write your child's name and the purpose of the money (Pop Corn or Panther Spirit grab bag) on the outside of the envelope.