Grizzly Gazette- 10/31/22
October 31, 2022
Progress Reports went home with students Friday, during 6th period. Students were also given their Renaissance 360 Beginning-of-Year (BOY) score report to go home (see article below for more info). If your student did not receive theirs, they can check with their 6th period Teacher or the Front Desk. Remember that Progress Reports are only a snapshot in time (records the three-week mark of the grading period) and that Power School is the most accurate, up-to-date method of checking grades. Teachers are also gradually adding course content to Canvas. (See the Canvas Parent App article below.)
Our first Glow Fest was held Friday and it was a glowing success! Thank you WBMS PTO for your help setting up. This Friday, our PTO will have the second Friday Fun Foods where students can purchase snacks and treats as they dismiss after-school. Friday Fun Foods is held on the Cafe stage and students can walk to purchase then dismiss for the day.
Happy start of November this week!
- Oct 31 - Nov 4- Astros Game Days- #OrangeOutHISD- can wear Astros shirts
- Nov 2 - 8th Gr Girls Basketball Tryouts- 4:15pm-5:45pm
- (see Coach Finley for info)
- Nov 3 - 7th/8th Boys Basketball Tryouts- 4:00pm-6:00pm
- (see Coach Christopoulos/Coach Woods for info)
- Nov 4 - PTO Friday Fun Foods
- Nov 14- Bush Elem Blood Drive
Glow Fest 2022
📚Renaissance BOY Screener
Your student took a Renaissance 360 (Ren 360) Beginning of Year (BOY) Screener and the score letter will go home soon and you'll be able to review your student's scores in Reading and Math. Teachers utilize these Reading scores to provide meaningful instruction and interventions, when needed. Students will take a Middle-of-Year (MOY) assessment and an End-of-Year (EOY)assessment this school year.
HISD encourages students to Read Every Day and more literacy resources can be found here:
Canvas- Parent as Observer
The Parent role in Canvas is now available. Canvas gives parents access to student learning. You can view Canvas in your browser or through the Canvas Parent app using ios or android devices. There are 3 Steps to accessing your student's Canvas Courses:
- Get the Pairing Code from your student's account.
- Discover what you can and cannot see as an observer.
- Download the Parent/Observer app.
Check out the guides and videos for the Canvas Observer/Parent App here.
📕 From our Librarian: Ms. Miller -
Updated HISD Attendance Policy
The HISD School Board updated our Student Attendance Policy to mirror the Texas Education Code (TEC) 25.092 (Attendance for Credit 90% Rule). A student in grade levels K-12 should not be given credit or final grade for a class unless the student is in attendance 90% of the days in which the class is offered.
We will continue to remind students the importance of attendance- in all class periods. In middle school and high school, the 90% rule applies to each individual class period. This includes coming to school late and remaining in all classes throughout the class period.
Students who have accumulated more than 10% absences in their courses during the school year will have asterisks (NG) printed on their report cards next to the courses in which the excessive absences occurred. These students will be denied credit in these courses based on the current HISD attendance policy unless the attendance committee grants credit because the absences are due to extenuating circumstances.
- Students who lose credit due to excessive absences may appeal if the student achieves an average of 70 or above at the end of the semester in which the no-credit (NG) status appears.
- All Attendance Committee meetings and appeals for the 22-23SY must be cleared by June 15, 2023.
Free COVID-PCR Testing @ West Briar
HISD will be offering free COVID-19 PCR Testing at West Briar again this school year. This testing will be every other week and is completely voluntary. Testing will be offered to everyone (students & staff) who consents, even if they don't have symptoms of COVID-19. Testing is free, quick, and easy and done by Fulgent Genetics trained medical professionals with a short, shallow nasal swab.
Test results will be available within 24-48 hours.
- Learn more about testing here: https://www.houstonisd.org/COVIDTestingFAQ.
- Complete the consent process by visiting this website: http://www.houstonisd.org/COVIDtesting.
- Contact Fulgent if you need help completing the consent process at mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 346-803-5828, Option 2.
Testing Schedule at West Briar - 10AM, Mondays
- November 7
- November 28
- December 12
- (past December- TBA)
Grizzlies Power Up- Laptop ID's
Your student should have received their laptop ID tag last week. Please remind your student that this ID tag should not be removed and is a quick way to differentiate laptops from one another.
Other Power Up Reminders:
- Charge your laptop each night & keep charger at home.
- Keep it cased- the hard case is not to be removed.
- No Food & Drink near device- do not eat around your laptop and be mindful of what's on your fingers when typing.
- Laptop Bags- these are allowable.
Need help with digital learning resources for you or your student? Check out:
- Houston ISD Academic Instructional Resources Page (Canvas, Google Workspace, Office 365, etc.)
GT Info Sessions Flyer w/Links (Eng/Span) Below:
Who do I contact?📥
Attendance: Mr. Anderson- email@example.com
Registration/Enrollment- Ms. Rodriguez- firstname.lastname@example.org
Nurse: Nurse Papillion- email@example.com
Special Education Secretary: Ms. Aguilera- firstname.lastname@example.org
6th Grade House Secretary: Ms. Johnson- email@example.com
7th Grade House Secretary: Ms. Bass- firstname.lastname@example.org
8th Grade House Secretary: Ms. Young- email@example.com
Social Worker: Ms. Taylor- firstname.lastname@example.org
Wraparound Specialist: AJ Buadu- Adjua.Buadu@houstonisd.org
Campus Administrators Webpage (includes new School Counselors)