Companionship and Friendship in Frankenstein
Isolation and lack of Companionship in the book
Pg. 74 "No one can conceive the anguish I suffered during the remainder of the night, which I spent, cold and wet, in the open air. But I did not feel the inconvenience of the weather; my imagination was busy in scenes of evil and despair."
- This quote is by Victor and its when he goes out walking through the woods where he was born and runs into the creature he created about six years prior. The scene is dark and rainy which i think symbolizes Victors emotions.
Pg. 103 " I am alone and miserable, man will not associate with me, but one as deformed and horrible as myself would not deny herself to me."
- This is The Creature talking about his feelings. He feels very isolated and lonely simply because his appearance scares people off. Being that he is constantly being shunned by anyone that he meets he has very low self esteem.
Pg .101"....I shunned the face of man, all sound of joy, or complacency was torture to me; solitude was my only consolation..."
- This is The Creature talking about how he copes with the fact that his physical appearance is so scary to other people that he cant have friends. Because all the people that have seen him run away he decides it would be better to isolate himself so that he wont have to deal with the pain of rejection.
Page 189 "Melancholy followed, but by degrees I gained a clear conception of my miseries and situation and was then released from my prison. For they had called me mad, and during many months, as I understood, a solitary cell had been my habituation."
- This is where Victor finally tells people about his creation. He was going insane and needed to tell someone about the real murderer. From this quote it seems like Victor became a victim of his own madness.
Isolation and lack of Companionship in Todays World
Page 115 "And what was I? Of my creation and creator I was absolutely ignorant, but I knew that I possessed no money, no friends, no kind of property. I was, besides, endued with a figure hideously deformed and loathsome; I was not even of the same nature as man."
- This quote is when The Creature begins to build his rather destructive self confidence. You can see that he is very lonely being how he looks and also not having any friends. Being that lonely can be very detrimental to your health
How Social Media Affects Relationships
Another problem with social media is that since kids don't have to actually open their mouths to talk anymore which you can see that it is messing up natural conversation abilities. That's not to say that, that means its bad because have you ever really thought about where your life would be if there wasn't all of this new technology coming out all the time?
"I am an unfortunate and deserted creature; I look around and I have no relation or friend upon earth. These amiable people to whom I go have never seen me and know little of me. I am full of fears, for if I fail there, I am an outcast in the world forever."
- This is the Creature just talking about how people never give him a chance. That is still very true in this day and age. Because people are always posting stuff about themselves or other people on the internet it make it easy to judge.