Western Addition, San Francisco, California. He died on April 22nd, 1984, in Monterey, California, at 82 years old. Ansel was an only child. He was dismissed from many private schools and at the age of twelve got a private tutor, his aunt and father. Ansel married Virginia Best and the couple had two children.
What other say about his work
- inspired by his tireless efforts for the natural environment
- dedicated to the creative spirit
- could understand his creative motivations and goals
Ansel Adams received an honorary atrium doctor degree from Harvard University and an honorary Doctor of Fine Arts degree from Yale University. He was elected a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences in 1966. He was awarded the Conservation Service Award by the Department of the Interior in 1968, and was inducted into the California Hall of Fame by California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger in 2007. The Minarets Wilderness in the Inyo National Forest and a 11,760-foot peak therein were renamed the Ansel Adams Wilderness and Mount Ansel Adams respectively in 1985. Adams was presented with the Hasselblad Award in 1981. The Wilderness Society also has a large permanent gallery of his work on display at its Washington DC Headquarters.
What I appreciate
- Broke his nose in an earthquake and it was never set right
- used large format cameras
- developed the Zone System
- founded photograph group called Group f'64