Growing Readers Together
May Tips for Kindergarten Parents
How to Help Your Child Delete Final Sounds in Words
Play What's the New Word?
Use the list below to help your child create new words by taking off the last sound of the original word. Ex: What word would be left if you took the /f/ off of Beef? New word: Be)
1. date without the /t/ (day)
2. barn without the /n/ (bar)
3. arm without the /m/ (are)
4. beat without the /t/ (be)
5. feed without the /d/ (fee)
6. nose without the /s/ (no)
7. grape without the /p/ (gray)
8. place without the /c/ (play)
9. house without the /s/ (how)
10. make without the /k/ (may)
*It is important to note that this is a sound game, not a spelling game. This is done without your child looking at the print. It is all done orally.**
Help Your Child Recognize Vowel Sounds
Help Your Child Understand Character Traits and Feelings
Help your child grow in this area:
1. Talk about what the characters do and say for clues about their personality.
2. Talk about what the characters are like on the outside (physical traits) and inside (personality traits) and talk about how we know. Ex: The character is happy because there is a picture of the character laughing.
3. Here are some other words to use to describe characters besides "happy or sad":
shy, quiet, friendly, funny, kind, brave, silly, bossy, hardworking, lazy, mean