Weekly News - 3rd Edition
Week of September 23rd
Dear HSES Families,
We enjoyed having our families here for Back to School Night last week! Thank you for your support and engagement. We will post the PowerPoints on our website this week. Again, we appreciate your participation, and we are looking forward to a wonderful year ahead!
Yours in partnership,
- 9/26 Fall Picture Day
- 9/27 Positive Office Referral Picture
- 9/30 Schools & Offices Closed - ROSH HASHANA
Celebrations: National Hispanic-Latino Heritage Month
- 10/2 National Custodial Worker's Recognition Day
- 10/3 Patapsco 50th Anniversary Celebration
- 10/4 Teacher Meeting 7:50 a.m. in Media Center
- 10/4 Pep Rallies 9:00 a.m. K-2 | 2:15 p.m. 3-5
- 10/7 Screenagers - The Next Chapter - 7:00 p.m. Mount Hebron HS
- 10/7-10/15 Team Days Huddles | 1st 15 minutes of Recess
- 10/9 Schools & Offices Closed Yom Kippur
- 10/16 Main Event: Fun Run 9:00 a.m. K-2 | 10:00 a.m. 3-5
- 10/18 Schools Closed for students - MSTA Convention
- 10/21 Post Program Meeting and 1st Collections at 9:00 a.m.
- 10/21 Flu Clinic
- 10/27 Diwali
- 10/28 2nd Collections at 9:00 a.m.
- 10/29 PTA General Meeting 6:30 -8:00 p.m.
- 10/31 Halloween Parade
- 11/1 Schools Close 3 hours Early - End of 1st Marking Period
- 11/8 Make-up Picture Day
- 11/11 Veteran's Day
- 11/13 ESP Day - Educator Support Professional's Day
- 11/18 American Education Week
- 11/22 Positive Office Referral Picture
- 11/25 Kid's Heart Challenge
- 11/25 Schools Close 3 hours early - Parent/Teacher Conferences
- 11/26 Schools Close 3 hours early - Parent/Teacher Conferences
Celebrations: National American Indian Heritage Month
We are approaching the Fall window for MAP (Measures of Academic Performance) Testing at HSES. This is an online assessment administered to all students in first though eighth grade, county wide. There is no preparation needed other than a good night's sleep, a good breakfast, and being at school ready to learn. This assessment provides teachers one data point to identify academic strengths and areas of need for your child. It also allows you to track your child's progress over time. The results of the assessment will be sent with your child(ren) once they become available. If you would like more information about the MAP Assessment you may visit the following link: https://www.hcpss.org/academics/testing/map-information/
1st Grade – September 23rd Week
2nd Grade – October 1st Week
3rd Grade – October 7th Week
4th Grade – October 14th Week
5th Grade – October 14th and 21st Week
Advanced Planning Calendar: Information on this calendar is subject to change, but provides some additional information on upcoming dates. All confirmed dates will be reflected in the dates above. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zk9QED0QBAJI_b46s6-U14D9FBHhTV9hYNBLRonoFKg/edit#gid=1548803383
HSES Website: http://hses.hcpss.org/
PTA Website: What is a PTA? "The main role of the local PTA is to build strong working relationships among parents, teachers and schools, in support of students. This can include recruiting and coordinating volunteers, providing special recognition in awards ceremonies or through other activities, organizing parent education events, planning teacher appreciation activities and much more."
Curriculum for coming weeks (Click Here):
As the school year gets underway, we will provide the standards that each grade level is focusing on for that week. For deeper understanding of the standards, please visit HCPSS.org for links to the curriculum - https://www.hcpss.org/academics/english-language-arts/curriculum/
2nd Grade Instructional Seminar
Completed applications are due to Mrs. Speelman by Friday, October 4, 2019. No late applications will be accepted.
Download application using this link https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zsenMWsM3GJO4Ej4XlIMmVWpAxi5o3K2/view?usp=sharing.
Washington Monument Graphic Organizer https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fW_v0_88MzTnPLIXA75RHV71psf2AIER/view?usp=sharing
Students can also pick up an application at school in the second grade pod.
Screenagers - The Next Chapter
Screenagers the Next Chapter is about helping young people thrive in our screen and stress-filled world.
Filmmaker and physician Delaney Ruston uses a personal lens and professional eye to help parents flip the script on stress, anxiety, and depression. We follow Delaney as she suddenly finds herself at a loss on how to help her own teens as they struggle with their emotional wellbeing. Ruston sets out to uncover how we understand these challenges in our current screen-filled society. And how we as parents and schools empower teens with skills to overcome mental health challenges and build emotional agility, communication savvy, and stress resilience.
Here is the teaser video showcasing the film: https://vimeo.com/338126572/96f2a18b3
Please register your attendance to see the film during its premiere week at Mount Hebron High School on October 7th at 7PM.
Register here: https://tinyurl.com/Oct7MHHS