WE MADE IT!
October / 2020
Dear Mason Road School Parent(s)/Caregiver(s),
What a start we had! There were many technical glitches and lost passwords however everyone persevered (as I predicted in my last newsletter)! I couldn't be anymore grateful and appreciative to the Mason Road staff and to each and every one of our families. Don't get me wrong, we still have some work to do but I am confident things will smooth out sooner than later. A special thanks to Mr. Joseph Belanger (father of Jacob Belanger, Kindergarten) for all his assistance and advice as we continue navigating through the google platform.
Starting THIS Thursday, October 1st, our cohort B and C students will enter the doors of Mason Road. The excitement in the building is remarkable. We have not had more than 3 pairs of little feet in our building since last March! WE...ARE...READY! Cohort A will begin October 5th. For all those participating in the full-remote format, things will continue accordingly.
Our BACK TO SCHOOL video will be making is debut soon!!! I am looking to get some candid's from the student's first day IN Mason Road School!! If you DO NOT want your child included in the video, please email me at email@example.com.
Wishing everyone a great week ahead and an even better month!
As always, please feel free to reach out with any questions and/or concerns at firstname.lastname@example.org or (508)943-4312.
Jennifer A. Desto, Principal
Just use the CAMERA feature on your phone to access.
If you do not have the camera feature, please access via google doc.
NOTE: This will be changing to be compatible with our Student Information System. We are just waiting up on the update to make it official.
What does Arrival and Dismissal look like?
REMINDER - NO VISITORS allowed in the building. If you are dropping off or picking up, please follow the flow of traffic and stay in line. Staff will be available to assist. If you are dropping off or picking up for preschool, you must park your car and follow the path through the playground.
NO VISITORS ALLOWED ~ Sorry!
A few requests for at home learning - either hybrid remote or full remote instruction
* You are encouraged to have your child dressed and ready to learn. If your child eats breakfast, brushes their teeth, gets dressed, they will be ready to get their day started much better than if they just roll out of bed. Additionally, please be mindful of family members and their presence during live lessons.
* Create a distraction free work space for your child. Removing all distractions (handheld games, electronics, toys, etc.) will be essential.
* Cameras should be on at all times during the scheduled, live classes.
* Keep an open line of communication with your child's teacher. There is no need to stress out of you are not able to get your child logged in for a live class. If you email the classroom teacher and explain the circumstances, I am confident that he/she will accommodate.
* Allow your child to complete their own work. It is going to be difficult for teachers to get an accurate gauge on your child's skill development if you are doing the work. It is ok if there are mistakes! This will allow teachers to get an understanding on what they need to target when providing instruction. Don't get me wrong, your child is going to need your help to access the google classroom and google meetings. Once they are in and set up, let's see what they are capable of doing. They just might surprise you!
* Stay positive! Children learn by example. School should be fun and exciting especially for our little, eager learners. There is not doubt that this will not be easy however, we can still have fun, right?
Accessing Parent Portal
Here is the link for quicker access:
If you are having any difficulties access the parent portal, please contact Mrs. Harris at email@example.com or (508) 943-4312.
Special Requests from Nurse Johnson
2. Please keep personal hand sanitizer at home. Each classroom is equipped with hand sanitizer. There are also dispensers spread out throughout the school building.
If you have any questions, please contact Nurse Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Free Lunch Across District
There is, however, a revised meal pick up schedule.
Monday through 10/1, meal pickups will be available at these times
Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri - SHRHS & HER: 12:30pm-1:30pm & 3:30pm-5:30pm.
Starting 10/1 through 12/31 or the announcement of the end of program from Washington, meal pickups will be available at these times
Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri - CES,DES,HER,MRS: 12:30pm-1:30pm, (as well as sending the kids home with food at the exits)
Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri - SHRHS & HER or CMS: 12:30pm-1:30pm, & 3:30pm-5:30pm
Starting 10/16 through 12/31 or the announcement of the end of program from Washington, meal pickups will be available at these times, meal pickups will be available at these times:
Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri - CES,DES,HER,MRS,CMS,DMS,SHRHS: 12:30pm-1:30pm, (as well as sending the kids home with food at the exits)
Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri - SHRHS & HER or CMS: 3:30pm-5:30pm
If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to:
Food Service Director
Dudley-Charlton Regional School District
Snacks & Drinks In School
MRS is NOT a peanut free school however we strongly encourage students to bring peanut free snacks to school.
Mason Road School Hours
Doors open at 8:30 AM
School starts at 8:50 AM
Dismissal will start at 12:15 PM
AM Sessions: 9:10 AM - 11:40 AM
PM Sessions: 12:40 PM - 3:10 PM
Parent pick up and drop off is located behind the school. It is important to maintain a line along the perimeter of the parking lot. Please begin to work with your child so that they are able to release and clip their seat belts. We understand that most children are still in a 5 point harness. The more independent your child is getting in and out of the car, the faster the process will go. Of course, safety is the utmost importance. Everyone will need to be patient while all become familiar with the ebb and flow of MRS parent drop off and pick up.
Keeping Everyone Safe
* All desks are arranged so that there is 6 feet apart for appropriate social distancing. Each child will have their own, assigned desk that will not be shared with any other student. Desks will be used in an every other one fashion between cohorts.
* Classroom windows will be left open for air circulation.
* Students will be provided with individual work boxes so everyday materials are not shared.
* One-way hallways will be required and signs will be posted according to the flow of travel according to each hallway. Mason Road School is a small building. Our hallways create the "L" shape.
* Each classroom will be assigned a specific recess time and assigned a recess "spot". Recess spots will include the playground, hardtop, or grass area. The playground will be cleaned after each use and spots will rotate so all students have an opportunity to utilize the playground area.
* Bathrooms will be limited to two students at a time.
* Each classroom is equipped with a sink for hand washing and provided with hand sanitizer.
* Child friendly signage have been purchased and will be displayed throughout the school building.
* Mrs. Johnson, school nurse, will be providing instruction on how to wash hands and care for masks appropriately. Students are taught to sing the "Happy Birthday" song while washing their hands and should keep washing until the song is done.
* No outside visitors are allowed in the school building.
How will attendance be taken during the hybrid and remote learning models
- For those participating in the in-person hybrid model, teachers will take attendance as they would regularly.
- For those participating in the hybrid model but are on remote days, teachers will take attendance when all the students gather in the afternoon (1:45pm) via google meet. If your child is not able to attend, please communicate with your child's teacher on that day.
- For those participating in the full remote model, the class teacher will take daily attendance via google meet live lesson attendance.
I cannot stress this enough...communication is extremely important!
IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER
Meet your Mason Road Teachers (times listed above according to cohort)
First Day of School for Cohort D Preschool Students only
October 1st: First day of in school hybrid model, Cohorts B & C, along with integrated preschool
October 5th: First day of in school hybrid model, Cohorts A & C
October 12th: Columbus Day, NO SCHOOL
November 11th: Veterans Day, NO SCHOOL
November 25th: Early Release for all students
November 26th-27th: Thanksgiving Recess, NO SCHOOL
December 23rd: Early Release for all students
December 24th - January 1st: Holiday Vacation, NO SCHOOL
Dudley PTO Fundraiser
Dudley Goes the Distance 4 Our Kids
Are you ready for a new twist on the 50/50 raffle?
Is it time to get moving and shed some quarantine weight?
Do you need a break from distance learning?
Then it is time for YOU to join the
challenge sponsored by the Dudley PTO.
Here’s what you have to do:
Walk or Run 10 miles a week for FOUR consecutive weeks from OCTOBER 4- OCTOBER 31.
($10 goes towards funding our children/$10 goes into a pot YOU could win!)
Rules & Information
1. Send $20 payment to the Dudley PTO (paypal.me/DudleyPTO) by October 1st.
2. Download a running/walking app. The app must track mileage AND show dates (RunKeeper, Map My Run, FitBit, etc).
3. You MUST walk/run a MINIMUM of 10 MILES per week. (You will not get extra points for going above 10 miles). The 10 miles can be completed gradually throughout the week, but must be a consistent walk or run, steps throughout the day will not count. Weeks start on Sunday and end at midnight on Saturday.
4. At the end of each week you MUST post screen shots of your tracked miles to your personal Facebook page and include #DudleyGoesTheDistance in your post.
5. After posting to your own page, head on over to the Dudley PTO page and find the post for the current week which will be posted each Saturday morning and comment DONE.
6. You MUST complete ALL of the above steps (3-5) for the 4 Weeks in October to be eligible for the pot.
*ANYONE from ANYWHERE can participate!
*Please Contact Amanda St. George email@example.com with any questions.
SHOP FOR MASON ROAD SCHOOL SWAG
School Committee Presentation: August 4th and 5th, 2020
Follow Up Questions & Answer from August 5th School Committee Presentation:
District COVID Information:
District Calendar for the 2020-2021 School Year (trimesters subject to change upon School Committee approval):
Mason Road School
20 Mason Road
Dudley, MA 01507
Telephone: (508) 943-4312
Fax: (508) 949-1005
Principal: Jennifer A. Desto
Administrative Assistant: Crissy Harris
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact contact me. This cannot be stressed enough especially when there are concerns. I cannot address what I am not aware of. ~Jen