Voyager Family News
Silver Strand Elementary School November 5, 2018
Spotlights and Reminders
- November is National Military Family Month! Friday November 9 will be a Spirit Day at SSES, and students are encouraged to wear red, white, and blue. We will recognize Veterans Day and this month with "Silver Strand Honors Its Military Heroes," including special recognition at Friday Flagpole and an invitation for our military families to refreshments and family photos in Strand Hall after Flagpole. To RSVP for photos, please see this link: https://strand.coronadousd.net/calendar/event/8-veterans-day-event
- Adding to our special events on Friday: United Through Reading will launch their Mobile Story Station at our Veteran's Day Celebration on Friday, November 9! You will find their Mobile Story Station parked in front of the school from 8:00-10:00 AM, and they will be available to facilitate recordings for military families during this time. United Through Reading is a non-profit organization that unites military families facing physical separation by facilitating the bonding experience of reading aloud together. This is a free service available to service members and their families. For more information on United Through Reading and the Mobile Story Station, visit http://unitedthroughreading.org/. To find out where they will be next or to request the Mobile Story Station at your upcoming event, please emailmobilestorystationSD@utr.org.
- This week’s theme is SERVICE. We have been talking in classrooms and at Friday Flagpole about service to our school, family, community, country, and world. We have been highlighting different kinds of service--leadership, civic engagement, helpfulness, problem solving and more. Please talk with your children about service, about the ways you serve, and what it means in your family!
- On Monday afternoon our students will be part of a special performance called "BASH," hosted by the Lamb's Players theatre troupe. The show focuses on conflict resolution and issues around bullying and harassment.
- Remember to set your clocks back one hour (Fall back!) on Sunday!
Silver Strand Safety and Security Support from Karen Pierro
Overall we are looking pretty smooth during our a.m. drop-off and p.m. pick-up times! THANK YOU for your cooperation and assistance with keeping these time slots safe for all students
As we all know, there are sometimes new families and unfamiliar drivers who come to our school during these busy times. Here are a few reminders for all of us during student drop-off and pick-up:
- For any parent/driver needing to get out of their car, even for just a moment, please pull into a parking space. The front roundabout is for dropping off only.
- Curbside hosts are trained to assist with drop-off. Please pull up as far as you can in the lane, and they can help with students exiting your car, backpacks, etc.
- Please do not drop-off kids in the front street area of school (behind bus/red curb area) – that is not a secure area!
- If crossing through the busy parking lot with your child, always use the crosswalks.
Stay safe out there, Voyagers!
Student Council News
- Friday, November 9 will be a red, white, and blue spirit day in honor of Veterans Day!
- Thank you, PTO, for hosting the Craft Fair on Saturday, November 3, and for organizing a family photo opportunity during Veterans Day weekend!
- The next PTO Meeting is Thursday, November 15 at 6:30 PM at SSES. This is an evening meeting and we hope to have great participation! Ms. Moore will host a "Q&A with the Principal" at the conclusion of PTO business.
Our Voyager Yearbook Needs Your Help!
Thank you to our parent volunteers who put our yearbook together!
THIS WEEK: NOVEMBER IS NATIONAL MILITARY FAMILY MONTH/Veteran’s Day Recognition
MON 11/5 1PM: All-School Assembly (“BASH” sponsored by Lamb’s Players)
6:30 PM: Restorative Practices Training Sponsored by SAFE at CHS Theatre
WEd 11/7 8:30-9:30 AM, Village ES: Military Spouses' Meeting on Building Resilience
FRI 11/9 SPIRIT DAY: Red, White and Blue gear!
8:10am Friday Flagpole Assembly/ Veteran’s Day Family Recognition (see above for more details!)
NO SCHOOL MONDAY 11/12
NEXT WEEK: NOVEMBER IS NATIONAL MILITARY FAMILY MONTH
MON 11/12 NO SCHOOL MONDAY 11/12
THUR 11/15 4 PM: Board Meeting
6:30 PM: Strand PTO Meeting and Principal Q&A
FRI 11/16 8:10am Friday Flagpole Assembly
8:30 AM: Title 1 Parents’ Meeting
ON THE HORIZON:
November 19-23: Thanksgiving Break!
November 27, 6 PM: Holiday Light up the Night at Loews (Choir performs)
November 28, 4PM: Hotel Del Coronado Holiday Celebration (Choir performs)
"Captain Mama" presenting to 5th graders
We were fortunate to have a special visit from military aviator and author Graciela Tiscareno-Sato, who shared her career experiences with 3rd-5th graders on Friday. For more information about "Captain Mama" and a link to her books, click here: https://www.captainmama.com/index.php?page=about-the-author
"Captain Mama" addressing 3rd and 4th graders
Our students were attentive and curious, and asked great questions!
"Captain Mama" presenting to 5th graders
Coronado SAFE Events and Activities
Stay Connected with Silver Strand Elementary School!!
Check out and "like" our Facebook page to see photos of student events and programs! https://www.facebook.com/Silver-Strand-Elementary-School-176775765849277/