AUGUST 20, 2020
SCHOOL STARTS NEXT WEEK
DROP-OFF AND PICK-UP PROCEDURES
CHANGES TO PICK UP LOCATION:
NEW THIS YEAR... Families with last names beginning with A-H will drop-off and pick-up on the Wilson Street side of the building. Families with last names beginning with I-Z will drop-off and pick-up on Park Avenue side of the building.
- ALL PK students and siblings (regardless of last initial) will be dropped off and picked up on Wilson Street.
- All Kindergarten students and siblings (regardless of last initial) will be dropped off and picked up on Park Avenue.
PHASE 2 Dismissal Procedures:
- PK and Kindergarten students choosing to dismiss prior to nap/snack time will be picked up at 1:00 p.m. at the Park Avenue loading dock.
- PK and Kindergarten students choosing to stay through nap/snack time and 1st-3rd grade students will be dismissed at 2:30 p.m. and must be picked up no later than 2:50 p.m. from their assigned pick up location (Wilson or Park Avenue).
- 4th-8th grade students will all dismiss at 3:00 p.m. and must be picked up by 3:30 p.m. from their assigned pick up location (Wilson or Park Avenue).
Traffic Flow Specifics:
Guidelines proposed by the City of Lake Charles and the Alliance Transportation Group require that Park Avenue pick-up cars approach the Park Avenue lot eastbound from Lakeshore Drive ONLY. Wilson Street pick-up cars should approach Wilson Street eastbound from Dr. Michael DeBakey Drive ONLY. This will help with the overall traffic congestion on Ryan Street caused by cars stacking on Ryan Street in order to turn onto Park Avenue, as well as Dr. Michael DeBakey Drive. In addition, families are asked to not block driveways while waiting in the pick-up lines.
Please display name signs (provided at Back to School Event days and on the first day of school) while in pick up line.
PICKLE AND SCHWARTZENBURG JOIN FACULTY
Middle School Science
(covering Mrs. Ebersole's maternity leave)
4th & 5th Grade ELA and Religion
(covering Mrs. Rupert's maternity leave)
AMPLIFY CKLA & ELA
Welcome back to a new and exciting school year! We are looking forward to seeing our students next week and joining in tremendous learning adventures together. This year we have new and comprehensive ELA programs for K-8th grade students: Amplify CKLA for K-5th grade and Amplify ELA for 6th-8th grade.
Amplify Core Knowledge Language Arts (CKLA) is a rich core curriculum built around the science of reading and is based on early literacy research where core knowledge of content is systematically combined with foundational skills instruction. The Amplify CKLA approach to literacy and language with the integration of background knowledge is intentionally grounded in knowledge acquisition. The program is built on strong foundations for reading and allows for a deeper understanding of complex texts.
Amplify CKLA for K-2nd grades is designed to focus on two important strands--the skills strand and the knowledge strand. The program shifts for 3rd-5th grade as integrated, domain-based units seamlessly continue to build on the two-strand model and foundation established in the earlier grades. Content-driven units focus students on close reading and becoming critical readers of complex text. Amplify ELA is an interactive core ELA curriculum that continues to have students unpack complex text and encourages students to read deeply, write descriptively, and think critically as they develop ideas and opinions on real-world, relevant texts. The blended curriculum engages students with diverse and dynamic texts, interesting classroom discussions, and meaningful digital experiences.
Our teachers, who were formally trained on the program for their grade level in June, are looking forward to watching our unique learners continue to grow and flourish in literacy, language, and core knowledge with the new Amplify CKLA and ELA curriculum!
Mrs. Blair Tadlock
Assistant Principal of Curriculum
FOOD SERVICE POLICIES
- Lunch menus will be sent via the Panther Press at the end of each month. Lunch menus will also be posted on the website at https://iccschool.org/cafeteria-menu/
- $2.65 per hot lunch
- Students are not allowed seconds until further notice.
Bag Lunch Reminders:
- All students (including Middle School) will not be allowed the use of microwaves until further notice.
- A reminder that all classes, PK-8th grade, are NUT FREE. We ask that when packing lunches and snacks parents are mindful of our nut-free guidelines. All items must include the ingredient list. If an item does not have an ingredient list, a note must be written stating "Nut-Free" by the parent.
- Free/Reduced lunch forms will be sent home the first weeks of school
- Forms will be due no later than October 1.
- Students currently on Free/Reduced will change to the "Paid" status the morning of October 7 if a new application has not been submitted by October 1.
AUGUST LUNCH MENU AVAILABLE
UNIFORM CODE REMINDERS
Students are expected to be in proper uniform on the first day of school.
A few key dress code reminders:
- Socks must be white and regular crew length only (no logo)
- Pants are to be khaki (dark tan) and may have a pleated or plain front
- SHOES: No "light-up" shoes allowed. No boots or high tops. Tennis shoes must be predominately white, black or gray with matching shoelaces
All students (PK-8) are required to wear only tennis shoes specified above.
- Acceptable sweaters for indoor wear are the black ICCS cardigan, the black ICCS sweatshirt, or the black ICCS fleece. This policy applies to all grade levels
- MASS DAYS: Boys must wear pants and girls must wear skirts or jumpers
- Hair must be neat, clean, and combed without color enhancement or hair design that distracts from the learning environment. Boy's hair length must be above the top of the shirt collar with bangs above the eyebrows, sideburns above the earlobes, and no hair overhanging the top of the ear
GOT LAST MINUTE SCHOOL UNIFORM NEEDS?
Southern Drifter Weekend Hours
Friday, August 21: 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Saturday, August 22: 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
ICCS SPIRIT SHIRTS SOLD ON-LINE
Just a reminder, official ICCS Spirit T-shirts are available for purchase on the www.iccschool.org website under the Parent Information tab. Cotton, dri-fit and sparkle shirt options are offered. The SPIRIT shirts can be worn on designated t-shirt days and while on school-sponsored field trips.
Parents can order the shirts online and pick up locally at Killer Dye on Common Street. https://shopswla.com/collections/local-schools/products/iccs-red-shirt-left-chest-dri-fit?variant=30992257417291
DON'T FORGET THE SCHOOL SUPPLIES
EXTENDED CARE TEAM ANNOUNCED
A special ICCS Panther welcome to our Extended Care Team:
Wendi Fournerat, Supervisor
THIRD FLOOR CONSTRUCTION NEAR COMPLETION
LAST CALL! ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT FUNDRAISER ENDS SOON
MARIAN AND EUCHARISTIC PROCESSION AND BOAT PROCESSION
Saturday, October 3, 2020
- 8:30 am - Holy Mass in honor of Our Lady Star of the Sea at the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception
- 9:30 am - Marian and Eucharistic Procession to the Lake Charles Civic Center Seawall
- 10:30 am - Boat Procession around the Lake
- 11:30 am - Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament by the Seawall
- 12:00 pm - Angelus, followed by Refreshments
PRAYER AGAINST THE CORONAVIRUS
O Mary, you shine continuously along our journey as a sign of salvation and hope.
We entrust ourselves to you, Health of the Sick, who at the Cross were near to the pain of Jesus, keeping your faith firm.
You, Salvation of the Roman people, know what we need, and we trust that you will provide for those needs so that, as at Cana of Galilee, joy and celebration may return after this moment of trial.
Help us, Mother of Divine Love, to conform ourselves to the will of the Father and to do what Jesus tells us, He who took our sufferings upon Himself, and took up our sorrows to bring us, through the Cross, to the joy of the Resurrection. Amen.
We seek refuge under your protection, O Holy Mother of God. Do not despise our pleas – we who are put to the test – and deliver us from every danger, O glorious and blessed Virgin.
PRAYER FOR SAFETY DURING HURRICANE SEASON
O God, Master of this passing world, hear the humble voices of your children. The Sea of Galilee obeyed Your order and returned to its former quietude. You are still the Master of land and sea. We live in the shadow of a danger over which we have no control: the Gulf, like a provoked and angry giant, can awaken from its seeming lethargy, overstep its conventional boundaries, invade our land and spread chaos and disaster.
During this hurricane season we turn to You, O loving Father. Spare us from past tragedies whose memories are still so vivid and whose wounds seem to refuse to heal with passing of time. O Virgin, Star of the Sea, Our Beloved Mother, we ask you to plead with your Son in our behalf, so that spared from the calamities common to this area and animated with a true spirit of gratitude, we will walk in the footsteps of your Divine Son to reach the heavenly Jerusalem where a stormless eternity awaits us. Amen.
DON'T FORGET TO LIKE US ON FACEBOOK AND KEEP UP WITH THE LATEST ICCS NEWS AND EVENTS!
Girls First Day of School
PK & K, Early Dismissal
1st-8th Grade, Full Day
Tuesday, August 25:
Boys First Day of School
PK & K, Early Dismissal
1st-8th Grade, Full Day
Wednesday, August 26:
PK-8, Early Dismissal
Thursday, August 27:
Opening Mass & School Blessing
Friday, August 28:
Monday, September 7:
NO SCHOOL, Labor Day Holiday