Bay Creek Beat
September 22, 2015
There are so many great things going on at Bay Creek!
Green Thumbs Abound at Bay Creek
Last year, Ms. Rothman applied and received a grant through Captain Planet for a school garden. The garden will be installed next week on Tuesday. A workforce from Captain Planet will come out to Bay Creek on Tuesday, September 29th and install five raised garden beds. They will also plant a starter garden and a pollination garden. Ms. Rothman and the Environmental Club will be in charge of the garden up keep. The garden will be placed right outside the cafeteria so our students can all enjoy watching it grow and change throughout the seasons. As we harvest vegetables, we will be able to use them in our cafeteria. We also plan to start selling items at the Grayson Farmers Market. I am so excited to have a school garden. I know this will be the start of many great hands-on learning opportunities for our students.
Honoring our Veterans
Last week I shared our initial plans for a Veterans Day Celebration on November 10th. The more I work with Student Council on this project, the more excited I am about this event. We need help from the community in reaching out to Veterans who wish to participate in the oral history project that will be showcased at the event. We also want to invite any veterans in your family and neighborhood to attend the event. We will be honoring all veterans attending the event with a special recognition. This event is open to everyone in the community to attend. We will also have food available for purchase so you can eat dinner at Bay Creek before the event. We are finalizing our food vendors and once we have them confirmed, we’ll share the menu. This is going to be a showcase event for Bay Creek and the entire Grayson community. Mark your calendars and plan to bring the entire family. If you know a veteran, please have them complete the information on the link here so we can invite them to this event.
Relay for Life Successes from 2014-2015
I have some great news to share about our Relay for Life Team. Last year, Ms. Vaughan and her Relay Team raised over $11,000! This was an increase of 500% from the previous year. Ms. Vaughan and I were also invited to the GCPS Board meeting in October to receive recognition of her team’s achievement from Mr. Wilbanks and the school board. A huge thank you goes out to Ms. Vaughan for her hard work and tireless enthusiasm to raise funds for this great cause. Ms. Vaughan is not one to rest on her laurels; she already set her fundraising goal for this year at $15,000. I know her team will reach this goal with your support!
Last Thursday, we had our first club meeting for the 2015-2016 school year. This year I have charged our students with taking more leadership roles in clubs. Each club elected a captain and co-captain. These two leadership positions will help the teacher sponsors organize and lead the club. Each club also set a goal to accomplish this year. Below are some of the goals set in by our clubs:
- Creative Coloring Club plans to send their works of art to troops overseas.
- Book Club – develop a community of readers while reading books together.
- Fuel up 60 - Educate people on being healthy by promoting being more active and eating healthier. And to be role models by being more active and eating healthy
- Improv Club: To learn how to act with confidence, displaying bold personality and spontaneity.
- Photography Club: Photographic Vantage of how the Bay Creek Community 'Cultivat[es] Community' & Inspir[es] Innovation'
It makes me proud to see the creativity, energy, and passion our students and teachers have as they cultivate a strong community at Bay Creek.
General Reminders and Updates for all Students
- Paper progress reports will not be sent home this year. A link to complete an online sign off was sent last week. Be sure to review your child’s grades on the portal our through their eCLASS page.
- Wednesday, September 23rd and Thursday, September 24th are early release days for all middle schools. Students will be dismissed at 1:30 pm. Teachers will be scheduling parent/teacher conferences throughout this week. Wednesday is our designated evening to hold conferences. If you did not receive an invitation for a conference but would like to meet with your child’s teachers, contact your homeroom teacher to schedule a conference.
- As you’re planning ahead, there is no school on October 12, 2015. This is also the first day for early voting, so get out early and vote!
Bay Creek Communication Tools
If you are looking for ways to locate updates and upcoming events at Bay Creek, there are several different ways we will communicate with parents listed below. As the district has moved to the eCLASS platform, teachers no longer have individual webpages. As parent access is not yet available, we encourage parents to log into their child’s eCLASS page and review homework and upcoming classroom assignments.
a. The Bay Creek Web Page: www.baycreekrams.com/home.html
b. Like our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/bcmsrams
d. Sign up to receive reminders and emergency information through Remind.com. (Directions for Remind.com can be found on the Bay Creek Web Page.)
e. View current grades and other specific individual student data through the Parent Portal. (Parent portal accounts can be obtained by completing the account form at the reception desk. Picture I.D. is required.)
Grade Level Specific Information
Save the Date for the 6th grade dance on October 16th from 4:15 pm – 6:30 pm in the BCMS gym and cafeteria.
We are still working on alternatives for Rock Eagle. I’m sorry we don’t have an update for you at this point, but I want to be sure we’ve investigated all our options before we share the alternative plan with parents and students.
Savannah Field Trip payments are due September 30th.
Parenting Quote of the Week . . . "It is inconvenient to be an effective parent.”
Students shall bring their earbuds to school every day. Earbuds are needed when students use a computer or their mobile device. Teachers are reporting students are forgetting to bring their earbuds. Walmart has earbuds as low as $3.49 a pair, Best Buy has them as low as $7.99 and Dollar Store has them for $1.00.