Fork Shoals Library Ledger
News for the week of February 25th
New books are in!
- With a Name Like Love by Tess Hilmo
- This Is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen
- Spy School by Stuart Gibbs
- Abe Lincoln's Dream by Lane Smith
- The Adventures of Beanboy by Lisa Harkrader
- Babymouse for President by Jennifer L. Holm and Matthew Holm
- Circle of Secrets by Kimberley Griffiths Little
- Cocky's Journey Through the Palmetto State by Aimee Aryal
- Every Cowgirl Loves a Rodeo by Rebecca Janni
- Here Lies Linc by Delia Ray
- May B by Caroline Starr Rose
- Mr. Terupt Falls Again by Rob Buyea
- One for the Murphys by Lynda Mullaly Hunt
- Sophia's War by Avi
- and many, many more!
Come in and check out a few new books today!
Book of the Week: Henry Aaron's Dream by Matt Tavares
Any Atlanta Braves fan worth his or her salt knows the name Hank Aaron, but fans may not realize everything Henry Aaron went through to become one of the best players in the history of baseball.
In Henry Aaron’s Dream, a nominee for the 2012-13 South Carolina Children’s Book Award, author and illustrator Matt Tavares tell the story of how the dream of one young boy came true, despite enormous pressure from those who couldn’t see past the color of his skin. This book takes readers from Aaron’s boyhood, playing baseball with anything he could find, through his time with minor and Negro league teams, to his triumphant entry into the world of Major League baseball. The journey was not easy, but Henry Aaron, with help and inspiration from his hero Jackie Robinson and other leaders who’d gone before him, emerged as one of the best and most beloved baseball players ever.
Author Holly Durst to visit K5-2nd grade students this week!
Greenville Drive Reading All-Stars
To complete the program, students must read 5 books during the designated 5-week time period. If the students reach their reading goal, they will qualify as a 2013 Greenville Drive Reading All-Star.
The reading program will run for 5 weeks: Wednesday, February 6th until Wednesday, March 13th. Students who complete the program will be honored at Fluor Field before the 7:00 PM Drive game on Monday, April 15th.
Each student who succeeds in reading the designated number of books will be honored at the Monday, April 15th Greenville Drive Celebration Game. The student will receive free admission, recognition on the DriveVision, a parade around the outfield warning track, a chance to throw the First Pitch, and a Greenville Drive Reading All-Stars T-shirt.
Author Steve Cotler visits FSS!
Dates to remember:
- February 28 - K5-2nd grade classes visit with author Holly Durst
- March 1 - Spirit Day
- March 2 - Read Across America Day
- March 3 - Ms. Knight's birthday!
- March 4 - Spring MAP testing begins
- March 4 - Art Show, 5-7pm
- March 6-8 - Ms. Knight to SCASL Conference in Columbia
- March 11 - SIC meeting, 7:30am
- March 13 - Greenville Drive reading logs due
The Art Show will be March 4th, from 5-7 pm. Each child at Fork Shoals will have one piece of art matted and on display. The students are so excited to share their work! Frames will be available for purchase at the show. If you would like your child's piece of art already framed and ready to go, please email Artworks at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 877-750-0989 and we will have it ready for you. Our school receives a percentage of all sales. Make plans to come support our artists!
PTA Board Nominations
The Nomination Committee is taking nominations for the positions of secretary and treasurer for next school year. Our PTA Board plays an important role in making Fork Shoals a great school. Your input for potential persons to fill these roles is greatly appreciated. Nomination forms can be found on our school website or in the front office.