AISW Weekly Parent Update
Week of November 21, 2022
Mark Your Calendar:
Order your KINDNESS MATTERS TSHIRT TODAY! It is the last day to order.
- Turn in Dodgeball permission slips and $5
- Check Powerschool to see your child's grades
- Turn in Dodgeball permission slips and $5
- Check Powerschool to see your child's grades
- No School
- Rest, Relax and Enjoy your holiday break!
- Happy Thanksgiving!
- Enjoy time with your family!
Dates to Remember:
- 11/28-12/2 Book Fair
- 11/29 6th grade Dodgeball 230-345pm; Book Fair will also be open
- 11/30 Choir Concert @ 600pm in AISW Gym Enter Door 21
- 12/1 5th grade Dodgeball 230-345pm; Book Fair will also be open
- December 1: An Evening with Santa @ Avon High School 6:30-8:30 - enter Door 33
- 12/7 Orchestra Concert @ 6pm in AISW Gym- Enter Door 21
Parent action items:
_____ Dodgeball permission slips are due & $5
_____ Make sure your son/daughter charges his/her laptop each night and brings their laptop AND charger to school each day
_____ Check your child's grades in Power School at least one x per week
_____ If eligible or think you may be eligible, fill out a free and reduced lunch application https://family.titank12.com/
Monday is the last day to order! Hurry order yours now. Support the Mary Lee Maier Food Pantry & order a KINDNES MATTERS- We Feed Kids Tshirt today!
Scan the QR CODE to see color choices; short and long sleeve options, &youth sizes.
Thank you for supporting this fundraiser as we work to spread kindness & most importantly FEED KIDS.
AISW Dodgeball Holiday Slam is coming soon! Who is excited?
Permission slips are coming home this week for our Winter Slam Dodgeball event. They are also attached to this weeks parent square message. Please fill out and send back in with your son/daughter to school.
Mark your calendars:
- Dodgeball info coming soon: Nov. 29th (6th grade) and Dec. 1st (5th grade) ending at 3:45
- Parent Volunteer Link for Dodgeball . https://bit.ly/AISWestDodgeball2022
The book fair will also be open the week of Dodgeball! Book Fair Nov. 28 to Dec. 2
Book fair will also be open during Dodge Ball on Tues and Thurs.
Book Fair Open All Week Nov 28- December 2: Volunteers Needed
Parents- Sign up to volunteer at our book fair the week of November 28! We need your help please. Come see the great books, help out at school and see our amazing students.
Student of the Week: Week of November 21
- Madelyn Ames
- Heritage Raphael
- Elliot Terrel
- Dae'Yanna Hill
- Savanna Mallett
- Jonathan Karanja
- Adriana Hernandez Chavez
- Jackson Rukundo
- Fatima Muslimova
- Braxton Dotlich
- Korbe Strasser
- Harley Fernandes
- Rylynn Young
- Josselyn Eilert
- Ray Apolaya
- Haylie Keisker
- Samiya Pierson
- Matthew Stamm
Related Arts/ Sped/ Counselors:
- Bischoff: Chloe Ahissou
- Porep:Mason Staten & Aubrielle Turk
- Rasheed: Kyle Kippenbrock & Kendall Starks
- Wolf: Christian Wessel
Temperatures are DROPPING, but we still go outside for RECESS!
In the Intermediate Parent/Student Handbook it states:
- All students are expected to participate in recess and physical education. The students will go outside, except during inclement weather, and should dress appropriately (coat, hat, gloves, etc.). The schools will use the following guidelines: If the temperature with wind chill is above 20 degrees, students will have outdoor recess.
Parents, please help make sure your students come dressed appropriately to go outside for recess, as all students will be required to go outside. Please make sure they have a coat, hat, gloves, etc. Please make sure they are wearing pants and not shorts on days it is cold outside.
6th grade students: Wrestling has started!
We look forward to this season with adding 6th graders to our wrestling program. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
IHSAA Athletic Physical:
November 16th @ 4:30 pm **** arrive at 4:20pm Drop off at door 15
Practice ends @ 6pm Pick up at door 14
To be able to participate, an IHSAA physical must be completed and uploaded to PRIVIT.
Questions regarding any of these opportunities, please email Mr. Mahan and AMS South at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We need Media Center Volunteers to help Mrs. Kopp shelve books. We would love to have some parent volunteers!
Volunteer Opportunities! We would love to have you.
Our teachers would love help making copies so they can keep teaching.
*any questions about volunteering to make copies, please email Amber Klein at email@example.com
Our media assisstant would also love help in the media center reshelving books and doing many other things. Volunteer in the media center- Click here!
* Any questions about volunteering in the media center, please email Paula Kopp at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you can help, please make sure your back ground check is current. If not, you cant renew by completing the process here: Start the Background Check Process Here
3-d Printing Club with Mr. Sogard & Ms. Bischoff
When: Thursdays, November 4th until January 26th
You MUST have reliable transportation to be able to join the club.
Mark your calendars for some family fun events @ AHS:
WestMart: Our New School Store is open on Fridays for students to make purchases!
Check out the great new SPIRIT WEAR Items-- hoodies, tshirts, and bags. Check out the other great items too--- school supplies and fun items for students, too. All profits that are made go to support student and staff activities for the year!
AISW Week in Pictures:
Register your Kroger card and support AIS West!
AIS West will receive funds from KROGER for every card that is registered! Every time you shop, you are helping AIS West!
Important Attendance Reminders
We need a lot of help ensuring EACH West student maintains a 96% attendance rate. There is a direct correlation between attendance and student achievement, so we are returning to our pre-Covid attendance procedures. You can review the Attendance Policy in the Intermediate Student-Parent Handbook.
- After the fifth (5) absence, an attendance letter will be sent home to inform parents that absences are beginning to accumulate.
- After the eighth (8) absence, a second attendance letter will be sent home stating that an excessive number of absences have occurred.
- After the tenth (10) absence, the school will work with the family to create an attendance contract.
- Upon the fifteenth (15) absence, excused or unexcused a referral will be made to Project Attend.
Project Attend is a cooperative effort between the Schools, Prosecutor, and Child and Family Services in Hendricks County. The goal is to work collaboratively to increase attendance rates and reduce truancy.
It is ok to bring your child before or after an appointment too! Remember to get a doctor’s note for school. 😊
Do you have changes to your child's transportation?
Please do NOT call the teacher, leave a voicemail for a teacher or send an email/ parent square message for the teacher, as there is NO GUARANTEE that they will get the message before dismissal. They teach all day and are unable to check messages during the day.
Call the front office at 317 544 5900 with any changes to how you want your child to get home!
School Meal Prices and Free/Reduced Meal Benefit Applications
The US Government program that enabled us to provide free school breakfasts and lunches during the last two school years has expired. Avon Schools will return to our former model for the upcoming school year. To eliminate any remaining confusion, please read the following information and contact us if you have additional questions.
Meal prices for the 2022-23 school year are as follows:
- Grades K-12 Breakfast, $1.85
- Grades K-4 Lunch, $2.85
- Grades 5-12 Lunch, $2.95
- AHS Premium Meal, $3.95
Free/Reduced Meal Benefit Applications
We are continuing to accept applications for free/reduced meals. Directly certified families received a separate message from the Food Service team and need not apply. If you have qualified for free and reduced school meals in the past or if you believe you qualify, please apply today.
Contact the Food Services team at (317) 544-6000.
Purchase Laptop Insurance today!
Cell Phones, Apple/Smart Watches and Wireless Earbuds:
** If there is an emergency and a student needs to reach you, they will be permitted to use the school phone.
** if you need to leave a message for your child, please call the front office and they will make sure your child is given the message by the end of the day.
In the event they are to have their cell phone out of their locker, the following steps will be taken by the teacher:
- First time- warning: the teacher will ask them to go put it in their locker and share that next time it will be confiscated.
- Second time- The teacher will ask the student to give them the phone and the teacher holds the phone until end of the day. The teacher returns the phone at the end of the day when the student gets on the bus/ goes to their car in car rider line and reminds the student of the school wide expectations. This will be documented as a disciplinary referral and parents will be notified.
- Third time and beyond: The teacher will ask the student to give them the phone and the teacher will take the phone to the front office for a parent/guardian to pick up the phone. The teacher will communicate with the parent to inform the parent that the phone has been out three or more times and now they must pick it up the phone from the front office. This will be documented as a disciplinary referral.
*** If students choose to bring their phones or other devices to school, Avon Schools are not responsible for lost or stolen devices or personal belongings.***