New Family Info for First Days
Some logistical info
Welcome to Civano
We are so excited to have you join our little school and community! We know that there’s always some confusion around the first days, so I wanted to try to clear that up. I know that this is a lot of information, but I’d rather give too much than not enough.
You will receive a parent hand-book with all of this information (and so much more) in your Tuesday folder, but that doesn’t help you for Monday!
First, the 2 schools have different start times:
• Upper School, Grades 5-8, gates open 7:45am, first bell at 8:10am
• Lower School, Grades K-4, gates open 8:00am, first bell at 8:24am
Each morning the whole school gathers for community time to listen to announcements, share big news, and sing. This is a very special time for our community and is considered the first class of the day. We expect all students to participate in this community building experience, as it sets the tone for the day. Upper school students will start their day on their campus and then travel to the lower school together to participate. The gates and the office will be locked right after the 8:24 bell. Students who get to school after 8:24 are considered tardy and will need to wait until community time is over to enter school.
We love it when our families join us during community time but we ask for the following courtesies:
• Enter the community time area before the 8:24 am bell.
• If you need to talk to a teacher, please arrange to meet with them before community time starts, as all teachers are required to attend community time.
• Refrain from having conversations during this time, as it can be distracting.
• Don’t leave before community time is over.
• Silence your cell phones and be technology free.
• If you are sitting with your child, please be active community time participants.
• We love younger siblings to attend, but the focus is on the first class of the day for students in grades K-8. If your younger child becomes a distraction, please leave the area, so our students can focus on community time.
Snacks and Lunches
Students should bring a healthy snack and lunch to school each day. We also offer hot lunch most Tuesdays through Fridays. You must order lunch ahead of time online.
Car Drop-Off and Pick-Up:
Upper School: Enter the pick-up area from the west. Pull all the way forward in the pick-up area so other cars can pull in behind you. Stay in your car while in the pick-up line in order to keep traffic moving smoothly. If you have children at both schools, have your upper school student walk across the crosswalk and join the lower school pick-up line.
Car Pick-up Line Safety:
Safety of our kids is a top priority during the pick-up time. Please review these key points and share with anyone who will be picking up your child.
· No phones or texting are allowed in the pick-up line.
· When possible, have your children enter the car from the curb side and locate your child’s car seat on the curb-side, so they can safely get in the car without going into the traffic lane.
· Please drive VERY cautiously during pick-up. We want adults to be able to pick up their children in a safe and timely manner.
Upper School: If you would like to walk in and pick-up your child, please park in the lot at the school or the dirt lot just east of the school. Wait by the bench just outside the gate.
Civano Community School
Kindergarten and Lead Teacher