ways to cope in trying times
social and emotional learning tips for families April 2020
Peter Reynolds Storytime Monday to Friday
- 9:00 a.m., 11:00 a.m. (Mon.-Fri.): Peter Reynolds (Say Something) reads one of his picture books (Facebook @PeterHamiltonReynolds at 9:00 a.m., Instagram @peterhreynolds at 11:00 a.m.)
250+ Creative Ways to Keep Your Family Sane
Some of the best parenting advice I ever received was: "When it rains, play in the rain." There are ways of making the best out of any situation, this one included. We have a unique opportunity here: We can make the COVID-19 crisis into a moment that will live vividly in our kids' memories, so that in other times of uncertainty they'll recall fondly how their family pulled together and made the best of things, and they'll be able to do the same.
Games and Activities
Clean / Fix
Arts & Crafts
Outside your Perimeter: Driveway, Yard, Garden, and Beyond
Links to Online Fun and Learning
Surprise! You're Homeschooling! Here are tips for success.
Virtual / Online Event Calendar
Let's look after our mental health - resources on line
Stress, anxiety, and depression are not unusual for people of all ages. But there are things we can do as individuals and collectively to deal with stress and support one another during these challenging times.
Young people 13-30 can sign up for six-seven week long programs online for free starting early May 2020. The YMCA of British Columbia’s Y Mind program helps young people cope with stress, worry and anxiety.
- Learn about Y Mind
...and in Prince George
Tips for your homeschooling adventure
Below are a few tips to help you as you continue this temporary homeschooling. Please click on the link below for our complete list of tips for how to manage this challenging time.
- Remember that everyone else is in the same situation.
- Remember that the goal is to keep up the momentum of learning, not to imitate school or to compete to see whether your kid can do it better than the others.
- Convey that we all have our work to do, and that you'll help your kids get set up to do theirs while you do yours.
- Try to assume more the role of cheer-leading coach than overseer.
- ...and a lot more. Click here for our complete article: Surprise! You're Homeschooling!... It's full of tips to help you survive and make the most of it.