A family Newsletter: Week of October 30th
Golden Nuggets from the Counselor
As we prepare for Halloween, take the time to talk with your kids about Halloween safety including going through the candy together. Closely examine candy for tampering. Don’t accept homemade goods unless you know the maker. Be aware there are drugs that look like candy. Don’t eat anything that is not commercially wrapped. When in Doubt, throw it out.
Have a safe and Happy Halloween!!
Baxter's Hub- Nancy Robertson, Library Media Specialist
A new and exciting reading challenge for third, fourth, and fifth grade students is here! The MidloReads Challenge will encourage students to read books recommended by the MISD Library Media Specialists (LMS), earn badges for their reading, and even display their accomplishments during a district-wide reading celebration in April 2018!
Quick Tips from Nurse Martin
Halloween Safety Tips
- A parent or responsible adult should always accompany young children on their neighborhood rounds.
- Obtain flashlights with fresh batteries for all children and their escorts.
- If your older children are going alone, plan and review the route that is acceptable to you. Agree on a specific time when they should return home.
- Only go to homes with a porch light on and never enter a home or car for a treat.
- Because pedestrian injuries are the most common injuries to children on Halloween, remind Trick-or-Treaters:
- Stay in a group and communicate where they will be going.
- Remember reflective tape for costumes and trick-or-treat bags.
- Carry a cellphone for quick communication.
- Remain on well-lit streets and always use the sidewalk.
- If no sidewalk is available, walk at the far edge of the roadway facing traffic.
- Never cut across yards or use alleys.
- Only cross the street as a group in established crosswalks (as recognized by local custom). Never cross between parked cars or out driveways.
For more information for Halloween Safety Tips visit
What's Happening at Baxter?!
Upcoming Events and Activities
Friday, 10/27: PTO Halloween Dance 7-9pm; Our school chooses to be drug free- wear your school shirt, Report cards coming home
Monday, 10/30: United we stand against Bullying- wear red, white, and blue
Tuesday, 10/31: Fall Parties; Say Boo to Bullying and Drugs- wear appropriate halloween costume
Wednesday, 11/1: Baxter Belles after school in the library until 4pm; Donuts with Dad at 7am in the cafe
Thursday, 11/2: Spirit Night at Schlotzkys 4-9pm
Friday, 11/3: Christmas shirt orders due
Wednesday, 11/8: Muffins with Mom at 7am in the cafe
Monday, 11/13: PTO Meeting in the cafe at 6:30pm, Turkey feathers for sale
Friday, 11/17: Thanksgiving Feast during our lunches
Fall Party Schedule
Pre-K- 9:00am in the cafe
1st Grade - 1:45pm
2nd Grade - 1:15pm
3rd Grade - 10:15am
4th Grade - 11:00am
5th Grade- 9:30am