India

Presentation By Mackenzie Gunn

A Multicultural Country

India is a South Asian country with many interesting traditions and people. They have a population of about 1,322,923,156 people. India is about 80% Hindu. The other 20% includes Islam, Chrisitanity, Sikhism, Jainism, Zoroastrianism, and Judaism. India uses about 23 languages with Hindi being the most spoken. India's cuisine was influenced by the Mogul Empire invasion. A part of India's diet is wheat, Basmati rice, lamb, chicken, naan, bhatoora, chick pea curry, and lots of herbs and spices. India is also known for its architectural buildings, one being the Taj Mahal. In India farming is the biggest source of employment. India has a liberal democratic federal republic government. Some holidays that they celebrate include Gregorian New Year (January 1), Republic Day (January 26), Gandhi's Birthday (October 2), Christmas (December 25), and a few others. As you can see India is a very multicultural area.

How Economics and Politics Have Changed Indian Culture

Economics have changed Indian culture by broadening their experiences with other cultures which sometimes means that they lose their own culture some. India has lots of highly qualified and technically skilled english speaking computer professionals. Their is outsourcing in India that can be helpful and harmful. The IT companies are booming in metro cities but aren't helping the rural areas or smaller cities. Having this outsourcing can change their culture because they adopt new cultures and ways of doing things from the west. The newer the generation is the less indian culture they have left in them. Parents and elders are getting mad about this because they think in the future that indian culture will start to fade away a lot. An example of this is that their was a guy from India that stayed in America to do some work. He stayed there for about 5 years and he adopted lots of new traditions, a new discipline, food diet, and so much more. When he went back home to India his parents barely recognized who he was because he had changed the way he dressed, the way he talked, the foods he ate, and the music he would listen to. His parents feel like he has lost parts of the Indian culture that they wanted him to hold on to forever.


Politics have changed Indian culture by turning people against each other that were once family. When people turn on each other they go their own way and do what they want. This means that more traditions were made because of politics. An example of were politics turned people against each other was when India and Pakistan fought over Kashmir state. They have fought two wars over this area and the conflict just keeps on growing. Both India and Pakistan had told each other that they had created nuclear weapons. Their have been bombings since the announcement because the tension only escalates between them. Through all this people part their ways from the big group because they have different ideas and thoughts about what is happening. People switch religions, where they live, and political parties if they don't see eye to eye with the one they are with now. This can play a big part in the culture changing because people change their way of life when they change their practices.

Big image

Taj Mahal

This is a picture of the Taj Mahal. It was built by more than 22,000 people. It took 22 years to be completed. The four sides of the Taj Mahal are all perfectly identical. The Taj Mahal is about 561 feet tall. It is surrounded by gardens and guest houses. To move the materials to build this building, more than 1,000 elephants were used to carry the materials. The Taj Mahal attracts 2-4 million visitors each year. Some stones were ripped off of it by the British during the Indian rebellion of 1857.